chapter twenty eight

𝐄den had lost everything

𝐄den had lost everything. She had been crying for days, missing classes to stay in bed. She couldn't stop thinking about it, about the fact that it had all happened because of her. Theodore had knocked on the door, Lisa had let him into the common room, but Eden had refused to open the door and she had started to cry when she heard him apologise again.

She forced herself to stand up though, it had been three weeks since she had learned the truth but it was still just as painful. The pain wouldn't go away. The redhead went downstairs to eat breakfast, keeping her eyes on her bowl. But when she finished and stood up, she couldn't help but look at the Slytherins table. Mattheo wasn't there and that's when she heard the murmurs.

Too focused on herself, she hadn't noticed and turned her head towards a girl who was talking to a boy.

"I heard he ran away, but I heard Lorenzo say he wasn't coming back," she said.

Eden clenched her jaw, Mattheo was the type to run away, he was a coward and she rolled her eyes. Recovering her memories had awakened her feelings. They had increased tenfold and she was angry because she remembered the gentle, kind Mattheo. And now she understood the abruptness and anger with which he had made love to her. Because he was angry at having ruined what they were.

Eden went back to her dormitory and grabbed her coat before heading out. It was the official day at Hogsmeade and she watched the others. She was the only one without anyone and she felt a pang of sadness. She spotted Theodore with Blaise and Lorenzo and when their eyes met, Eden looked away. She walked down a small, dark alley and entered a shop.

She didn't feel like buying anything, in fact she didn't feel like anything at all. She sighed and left the shop. Eden took no notice and let out a scream as someone put a hand over her mouth. Mattheo was gone and she was angry at him for running away. It was easy to turn away from the problem, but the truth was that he hadn't run away of his own free will, and the scream he let out as his father began to torture him again shattered the silence of the family home.

He moaned as he was punched and spat blood. His fists were tied, he couldn't move and he hadn't seen the light of outside for days. Tom leaned over to him again.

"Where's the diadem?" he said. Mattheo groaned and raised his head before laughing.

"You'll never find it," he said. "That must be frustrating, you shouting so loudly that you're the most powerful wizard and yet, you can't found what you're looking for."

He grunted as the fist came down on him again, his mouth bloody, and his father grabbed his face, grinning like a monster.

"I assured you of something months ago," Tom said before calling Bellatrix.

Mattheo turned his head when he heard his mother. He frowned and fear gripped his face as he saw her dragging Eden. Unconscious, she had a head injury and Bellatrix laid her at Tom's feet.