chapter nineteen

𝐎n Christmas morning, Eden was still fast asleep when a noise woke her from her slumber

𝐎n Christmas morning, Eden was still fast asleep when a noise woke her from her slumber. It was coming from her drawer. The bedside table vibrated and she groaned before reaching out to try and open the drawer with her eyes closed, but when she couldn't, she sat up, her hair a mess, and opened the drawer.

Mattheo's gift pack flew out, freed from its spell, and fell to the floor, motionless again. Eden bent down to pick it up and put it on her bed before taking out the letter and Elina's present. She started with her best friend's present and smiled when she saw the horror book. She had vaguely mentioned it to Elina and was touched that she had remembered.

Eden put the book on her bedside table and picked up Mattheo's present. She shook it, trying to guess what it was, but finally opened it, unable to wait any longer. It was a small, dark red velvet box. The redhead opened it and discovered a necklace. On it was a star covered in sequins.

She had never seen such a beautiful necklace. Eden put it around her neck and the star emitted a light before before it went out. She took Mattheo's letter, opened it and unfolded the paper. His handwriting was a little shaky and rough, which made the redhead smile. She was surprised by the gift, but especially by the letter. Mattheo had taken the time to write it.

«Marks,

Merry Christmas. I'm not very good with words and don't think this is a declaration of love, I'd rather be dead (try to imagine me laughing because it's humour, but on paper it's confusing).

I know this first Christmas without your parents must be difficult and I'm sorry you have to go through it alone.

But I hope you've been really angry about not being able to open my present early. It's not much, but I know you like stars and I thought of you when I saw it. I hope this settles our argument about me not coming to look at the stars with you!

The necklace should have glowed when you put it on, it's just a spell that binds it to you. You can't lose it because it will always come back to you. Have a good day, Marks.»

Eden laughed, what an idiot. It was good Mattheo not to sign a letter and she smiled. It might not have been much, but this letter and this necklace meant a lot to Eden. Once again she thought Mattheo did have a heart. The redhead got up and pulled on a warm jumper before going down to the Great Hall.

"Merry Christmas, Marks," Theodore said as she sat down.

"Merry Christmas, Nott," Eden replied.

Eden dropped a gift in front of him as he did the same and they laughed. She opened the present and grabbed the soft toy before handing it to Theodore.

"Seriously? A demon?" she said amused. "Thanks, it's so cute."

"What? I think he looks like you, don't you?" sneered Theodore as he opened a French textbook. "I'm going to get good grades with this, Marks but I still want you to be my teacher."