chapter seventeen

𝐄den walked out of class, her things against her chest

𝐄den walked out of class, her things against her chest. SShe hadn't slept much after going to see the stars, but it had been worth it. She'd had a wonderful evening and was surprised that Theodore wasn't so stupid. She enjoyed spending time with him. The redhead walked down the corridor, lost in thought, when she bumped into someone and her things fell to the floor.

"Sorry," she said. Raising her head, she turned sombre when she saw that it was Edward Black. She had never liked him. He was part of Mattheo's family because his mother was a cousin of Edward's mother or something like that. There were a lot of them and it was hard to keep track. Edward gave her a dirty look and Eden dropped to her knees to pick up her things.

"Watch where you're going," Edward laughed as he walked away. She rolled her eyes and raised her middle finger, but he was already gone.

"Asshole," Eden muttered. Someone stopped beside her and picked up one of her books before holding it in front of her face. Eden put a hand on it and looked up to meet Mattheo's eyes. Anger flared and she snatched the book out of his hands before standing up.

"So what's your excuse?" asked Eden. "You had too many girls to fuck to tell me you weren't coming..." Eden didn't know why this affected her so much and it was frustrating. Mattheo gave her that intense look and put his hands in his pockets.

"Yeah, Raya's a hell of a slut, she was asking for more, I didn't want to turn her down," he blurted out. Hurting people was something he knew how to do, and even though it was killing him, he couldn't tell her he was sorry. Mattheo Riddle couldn't, so he accepted the slap she gave him and felt his cheek burn.

"You're a bastard, you could have warned me instead of making me wait for you," Eden said. "But what did I expect, eh? That's your thing, disappointing people."

The thought came out loud and Eden pursed her lips. She saw Mattheo tense up and clenched his jaw.

"Did you enjoy kissing Theodore or was it just because you were bored?" Mattheo moved closer and Eden could smell the alcohol. She shook her head and let out a little giggle.

"You're jealous. You're jealous because Theodore is a good man and you, I was wrong. You don't have a heart. It would have taken you five minutes to warn me, but no, fucking a girl is far more important than respect!" Eden had raised her voice and several students turned their heads to look at them.

Just like the other times, Eden seemed to see distress in Mattheo's eyes, but she told herself that she was imagining it because she had wanted to believe that he was a good person and had been looking for proof, but she had been wrong. She walked around him and joined Elina who was waiting for her.

"What's going on?" asked Elina.

"Nothing at all," Eden murmured. "You were right about Mattheo."

These words stayed with her for several days. She was still thinking about them as she waited for Theodore in the corridor. She hadn't spoken to Mattheo and tried not to think about it too much, even though it was all she did.