chapter twenty

𝐄den closed the zipper of her dress in the back and pushed her hair back, pulling it into a bun and leaving just two strands around her face

𝐄den closed the zipper of her dress in the back and pushed her hair back, pulling it into a bun and leaving just two strands around her face. She didn't want to go to Malfoy's for New Year's Eve, but she did want to see Mattheo, she couldn't stop thinking about him. Part of her was worried because he was home and she'd seen what his father had done to him, so she hoped he was all right.

The redhead sighed and looked at herself in the mirror. She was wearing a red dress that made her look like she'd stepped out of a fairy tale or run away from a wedding. Her skin glowed after she had put some glitter on it and her make-up was red. Her necklace showed off her cleavage and she looked like she'd come straight from the underworld, Theodore told her as she walked into the hall.

"You look beautiful," he said, planting a kiss on her cheek. "We can still not go if you prefer."

"No, it's okay, I ... I want to go. I hear the food is delicious. You look very beautiful, Theodore." Eden smiled at him, he had combed his hair back and was wearing a grey suit that set off his large eyes. He took her hand and Eden followed. They took a carriage and Theodore stroked Eden's hand during the ride, but neither spoke.

Malfoy Manor was in a secluded place, you had to go through a dark forest and then there was a path for several miles that led to huge black gates. Two house elves were at the gates and they bowed in greeting. Eden looked around, there was a huge fountain in the middle of the driveway and the manor house was breathtaking.

It was white as snow, huge, but even though it was a bright colour, Eden felt a shiver, she could feel the darkness. The carriage stopped and Theodore helped her down, then they climbed the stairs to the door. The inside was as black as the outside was white, it looked like a hospital and Eden winced.

"How can Draco live in a place like this?" asked Eden. "It's all too big and too dark."

"Rich people like it, it's just to be seen," Theodore replied. He put a hand on the crux of her back and pulled her in front of a man. They gave him their coats and entered the ballroom. The guests were wearing dresses that must have cost a fortune and some were wearing masks.

Eden stopped at the entrance and looked around, observing the guests. Most of them were staring at her and she felt uncomfortable, but she had a gift for attracting attention. She was a pretty girl and some people liked to say she was a siren, capable of driving boys mad just to get a look from her. She thought it was completely idiotic, but there was little she could do about it.

Mattheo was standing in front of the buffet, he had seen her as soon as she walked through the doors. Sipping a glass of alcohol, he watched her from a distance, his eyes lingering on the necklace. A faint smile appeared on his face, but he cleared his throat and wiped it away. Eden was beautiful, she was more than that, but nothing could describe her beauty. He swallowed hard, his legs trembling.

He could have thrown himself at her feet and begged her to kill him so he wouldn't have to suffer for not being with her. Mattheo's eyes went down to her cleavage and he bit his lip, but someone stood in front of Eden and he couldn't see her anymore. Then he realised it was Theo and his stomach tightened, of course it was Theodore. They'd spent the holidays together and when he saw his best friend lean in to kiss Eden, he clutched his glass so tightly that it exploded a piece of glass stuck in his hand.