chapter twenty five

𝐄den was angry, sh'ed been trying to get rid of that stupid necklace for weeks, but no matter what she did, it always came back

𝐄den was angry, sh'ed been trying to get rid of that stupid necklace for weeks, but no matter what she did, it always came back. It was a constant reminder of Mattheo and she hated it. But she now understood why Mattheo knew so much about her.

January had passed slowly and February was already well under way. She didn't really talk to Theodore, she ran away because she didn't want to suffer any more. She left her Potions class and crossed the corridor to the Astronomy Tower, where Elina was already.

"Is everything all right? You look upset," Eden said. She walked over to her best friend and sat down on the sofa. Elina's skin was pale and she looked worried.

"Yes, sorry, I ... I thought I was being followed earlier, but I'm getting on my nerves, you know me." Elina smiled at Eden and the redhead pursed her lips.

"Are you sure? Maybe we could go and see Dumbledore," Eden suggested.

"No, I assure you, it's nothing. I'm sure it's just the stress of the potions exam coming up," Elina replied. "Well, I've found a way to break the spell on your necklace."

"You're a lifesaver, I really can't take this stupid necklace anymore." Eden handed it to Elina and watched as she did so. Elina was good at spells and there was a bright flash of light before the necklace shattered and despite everything, Eden felt a pang of sadness. "Thank you, Elina."

She picked up the necklace and planted a kiss on her friend's cheek before walking down the stairs. Mattheo was sitting with Lorenzo in the great hall when Eden abruptly placed the broken necklace in front of him. A few people hissed and Mattheo clenched his jaw.

"Eden!" He got to his feet as Eden walked away. He caught up with her and grabbed her wrist to stop her. She turned and pushed him away.

"Don't touch me!" Eden saw Mattheo's eyes widen, but she didn't care if he was surprised. What had he expected? And yet, as she watched his eyes lose their sparkle, she blamed herself. "I'm done with you, so take your stupid necklace and stay away from me."

Eden walked away, trying to hold back her tears, she was sick of Mattheo having such a hold on her. She went to her dormitory to get her things and then settled into her Defence Against the Dark Arts class.

"Eden!" Theodore's voice snapped her out of her thoughts and she turned her head towards him. Mattheo wasn't there and she tried to ignore the fact that she longed to know where he was. "Do you have a moment later?"

Eden pursed her lips, angry at herself for ignoring Theodore all these days, but he was Mattheo's best friend. Theodore leaned back a little on his table and smiled gently at her.

"All right," Eden replied. She turned back to the teacher and looked for Elina. She needed some support, but her friend's seat was empty, which made her frown. She spent the rest of the class asking herself a thousand questions and when the bell rang, she got up and hurried out of the room.