chapter twenty two

𝐄den bit her lip as she looked out the window

𝐄den bit her lip as she looked out the window. She had been there for a long time when she finally saw a group of students arrive. They were on their way back from holiday and she hoped to see Mattheo. The redhead made her way down the stairs, searching the crowd for the one person she wanted to see immediately.

When she finally saw him, her heart began to pound in her chest, but she frowned when she saw his face. Broken. That's what she thought when she saw his split lip and the bruises on his handsome face. He hadn't brushed his hair, and the curls fell back over his forehead. As he stepped in front of her, Eden realised that people were watching them.

"Hi," she said. Eden wanted to go and see Voldemort, yell at him, hit him and make him pay for what he had done to his son. Mattheo seemed to have lost the sparkle in his eyes, which looked empty.

"Hi," he replied. Mattheo walked past her and away, leaving her to be swallowed up by the students. Eden froze, blinking several times. She heard some of the girls say Mattheo's name and Eden's face darkened. What an idiot. Of course, she was just another girl, even after everything he'd told her. There was nothing special about her and yet she loved him.

The redhead returned to her dormitory for a while before going downstairs to get her meal. Elina was waiting for her at the front door and they hugged.

"What are you doing tonight? We should get together and talk about our holidays," Elina suggested.

"I really need a girls' night, we'll meet at the usual place," Eden replied. She walked over to her table and sat down before starting her meal. Refusing to look up at the Slytherin table, as difficult as it was, she ate while listening to the conversation between two girls.

They were talking about Mattheo and Eden felt like rolling her eyes. Rumour had it that the reason he'd got a gash on his face was because he'd got into a fight with four boys and slaughtered them. She knew exactly what had happened. She was sure of it. Tom Riddle had beaten Mattheo. She swallowed her dessert quickly, ignoring Theodore as he tried to get her attention. She went up to her dormitory to do her homework.

There wasn't much to do, so she got a head start and when it got dark, Eden went out again in silence to climb the astronomy tower. She sat down on the sofa and waited for Elina, who arrived panting and dropped down beside her.

"I hate stairs," Elina said. "How was your holiday?"

"It was great. I missed my parents a lot, but I spent a lot of time with Theodore. I didn't get bored. And I read the book you gave me. It was brilliant!" says Eden.

"Please don't tell me you're going out with Theodore?" moaned Elina with a grimace. Eden felt compelled to defend Theodore. He was kind, gentle, funny and a lot of things.

"I'm not going out with him. But he has asked me to be his girlfriend. He's really sweet when you get to know him. I'm surprised, but I really like him," the redhead said. Her cheeks flushed and Elina winced.