chapter thirty one

𝐈 killed Edward Black

𝐈 killed Edward Black. Eden looked at Mattheo, his words echoing in her head. The redhead sat up in bed, she'd been in hospital for five days and Mattheo refused to leave her side. Theodore came every day and stayed for hours, but until then, none of the three had spoken of that fateful night.

"I'm sorry," Mattheo said. He knew that Eden did not accept violence, but when he had seen Edward, when he had understood what he had done, anger had taken over.

"No," Eden replied. "He deserved to die." She looked up and into Mattheo's eyes. Edward had poisoned her, luckily she'd only drunk a little poison, but Jenna was dead. He'd hit her and she'd almost died and he'd abused her, he had every reason to deserve death. "Are you all right?"

"Eden, you're the one in hospital, I thought I'd lost you, I..." Mattheo let his tears fall and Eden put a hand on his cheek. She looked at him and shook her head.

"You killed someone," she said. "Even if he deserved to die, you killed someone."

"It's all right. I don't regret it. I'd do it again if I had to," Mattheo said. He kissed Eden's hand and laid his head on her thigh. He'd been so afraid of losing her. "How are you feeling?"

"I just want to forget," she says. "I mean, I ... I don't really remember. But I don't want to try and remember." Eden shuddered and her voice broke. Mattheo straightened and planted a kiss on her forehead.

"Theodore put the elements together to destroy the relics." Mattheo looked at Eden. He was worried because as much as she wanted to forget, he knew she felt bad. "And if you feel like it, when you get out of here, before we do that, we could have a moment, just you and me. We could look at the stars."

"Okay," Eden smiled at him and he rested his head on her thigh again. She stroked his hair gently and Mattheo eventually fell asleep. The more time passed, the more frightened Eden became. Voldemort was a psychopath and he would be furious if he found out the relics had been destroyed. She was afraid that Mattheo would suffer the consequences.

He stayed with her for three more days, and when she was finally able to return to Hogwarts, rumours began to circulate. Some students said that Edward Black had had an accident, others, that he had simply disappeared, but what was certain was that Jenna was dead and there were starting to be a lot of deaths. Mattheo led Eden to her room and pulled her close.

"We should run away," he said. "I'll marry you tomorrow and we'll live far away from everything." Mattheo intertwined their fingers and Eden smiled. It was a perfect idea, but impossible, they both knew.

"I love it when you're romantic," Eden said with a smile. "I wish it were possible. We have a few more months and then we'll be together forever."

Mattheo took her in his arms and Eden wrapped her legs around his waist. She never wanted to leave his arms and she watched him, all those months he'd kept the truth from her must have been so hard for him.