chapter twenty seven

𝐄den froze at the sight of the roof

𝐄den froze at the sight of the roof. Everything looked wonderful. Mattheo had put candles and there was a blanket on the floor with food. Immediately she felt terrible, he had organised everything and she hadn't come. When she heard a noise, Eden stepped forward and saw him.

"Mattheo..." Eden approached slowly and he raised his head, his face was blank, the sparkle in his eyes gone. "I'm sorry, I..."

"Stop apologising, Eden," Mattheo blurted out. "You did what I told you, you chose Theodore."

Eden didn't understand, he seemed angry when he'd made her choose Theodore. He had been such a dick to her and she couldn't understand why he seemed so contradictory.

"Mattheo, stop it," she said before shouting. "Stop it!" She snapped and Mattheo froze. He looked at the redhead and she felt her anger rise.

"You have no right to do this! To accuse me when you've done everything to make me understand that I mean nothing to you! You acted like an asshole, you hurt me, so you have no right to act like it's my fault!" Eden shouted. "Why are you doing this? Why are you ...."

"Because I love you!" shouted Mattheo. "I love you, but I've ruined everything, I always ruin everything."

Eden blinked, she looked at him in shock and shook her head, her eyebrows furrowed.

"No, no, you don't love me," she said. "That girl, the one you love..."

"It's you, it's always been you, Eden," Mattheo said.

"I'm not dead, Mattheo. You said the girl died." Eden felt distress sweep over her. Something seemed to be awakening inside her and Mattheo looked downcast.

"I never said she was dead, Eden. I said she was gone." Mattheo spoke in a broken voice and Eden understood less and less.

"I'm here, Mattheo! She's dead, it's not me, you're ... you're lying." Eden looked at Mattheo, but when he approached she stepped back and he looked hurt. "You need help, you're lost and..."

"You're gone, Eden. I... I took everything from you so that you could live, but I... I can't forget you, and you're not even here anymore," Mattheo breathed.

"What are you talking about? Mattheo, what are you saying?" Eden felt herself getting worse and worse. She looked at Mattheo and saw the tears in his eyes.

"Last year, at the end of year, at the party, I kissed you. We spent our summer together, but my father... my father found out. He found out that I loved you, that you were an heiress and ... " Mattheo's voice broke.

Eden shook her head, he was lying. She'd spent her summer at home building a cabin for the neighbours' little girl, Mattheo was lying.

"He... I tried to stop him, I promise you, I tried everything, but he wouldn't listen to me. Eden, I... I'm sorry." Mattheo approached, but Eden stepped back again, wanting to put as much distance between herself and him as possible.