chapter twenty three

𝐄den hadn't spoken to Mattheo about his injuries since the night she'd found him drunk

𝐄den hadn't spoken to Mattheo about his injuries since the night she'd found him drunk. When she woke up the next morning, the bed was empty and she'd spent the week wondering if he was all right, but she hadn't dared ask him. She was in the library trying to do an assignment when Theodore arrived and sat down opposite her.

"Do you want to go dancing tonight?" Theodore asked. Eden looked up from her textbook, surprised at his question. They hadn't really spoken since school had started. Eden closed her book and nodded.

"Yes, it would be good for me, just the two of us?" asked Eden.

"No, Mattheo will be there." Theodore stroked her hand and intertwined their fingers, smiling gently. "I meet you there? We have to go to Hogsmeade, so we'll already be there."

"All right then, I'll be there at about eight," Eden replied. She got up and gathered her things. Dancing would take her mind off things, even if a guy had almost attacked her the last time she'd done it. Just thinking about it made her shudder.

Theodore came closer and took her hand, leaning forward slightly. Eden wanted to kiss him, she wanted to say she was sorry for making him wait, but she couldn't say it and kissed him back when he kissed her. She watched him go and touched her lips with a slight smile.

She saw Ron coming towards her, out of breath, and watched him catch his breath. His cheeks were flushed and his hair was dishevelled, which was rather amusing. Ron looked at Eden and smiled shyly.

"Hi," he said, running a hand through his hair. "I managed to invite Hermione. Thanks Eden, I don't think I could have done it without you." Ron smiled at her and Eden was touched.

"That's great, I'm so happy for you! I told you it would work out." Eden was really happy and this meant the end of their contract. She would no longer be sleeping with him and that suited her. She wanted to concentrate on what was going on in her head with Theodore and Mattheo.

"Well, um, thank you for... your services," Ron said, blushing. Eden smiled at him and watched him go before she left the library. She went up to her dormitory and put her things down before finding Elina. They sat down in the great hall.

"I was thinking that you could come with me for the next holidays," Elina said. "My parents want us to go to Russia."

"I don't want to be a bother, your parents don't really know me," Eden replied.

"They won't mind, in fact they'll be quite relieved because I've never introduced them to any friends, so ... but I don't want to force you. If you want to come, you're welcome." Elina smiled at Eden and the redhead nodded.

"In that case, all right. I've never been to Russia. Thank you, Elina." Eden spent the afternoon with her best friend, before eating dinner and returning to her dormitory to get ready. She put on a dark red dress and let her hair down. She applied lipstick and read until it was time to leave.