chapter fifteen

𝐄den slipped on her heels, red shoes that lengthened her already immense and slender legs

𝐄den slipped on her heels, red shoes that lengthened her already immense and slender legs. She had left her hair loose behind her back and it cascaded down, shiny and silky. Her skirt, short and made of dark red leather, sparkled with sequins. She was wearing a red t-shirt that showed her belly and cleavage, which was probably inappropriate at school, but she didn't care.

She grabbed a jacket and stepped out discreetly. The corridor was quiet and dark, which was a good sign, so she walked down the stairs and saw a figure in the hallway. Elina appeared, wearing a little blue dress that brought out her cheekbones, and she smiled at Eden. The redhead returned her smile and she opened the door gently so as not to make it creak.

"Damn, I thought Laurie was going to talk to me all night," Elina blurted out. "I put on the first dress I could get my hands on, otherwise I'd be late."

"It suits you," Eden replied.

She knew Joshua would have liked it too and the thought made her sad. Elina would never know if their story would have lasted if, like most wizards, she had ended up living with the love of her final year at school. Eden was convinced that if Joshua had been around, he and Elina would have had children in the end.

"Eden, I may have a solution," Elina breathed. "To kill Voldemort but it's risky and I don't know if it's a good idea but we need to stop him. I saw an article in Monday's paper, he's been killing people again. Half-bloods."

Eden didn't answer. They didn't know much about Voldemort. There was talk of an army he was preparing for war, but no one knew if it was just a rumour. The redhead bit her lip and walked past the castle gate.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Joining his ranks," breathed Elina.

Eden stopped and froze, her eyes widening and she turned back to her best friend, shaking her head.

"Are you crazy? It's far too dangerous, we'd be spotted before we'd even been there two days there," Eden blurted out. "No, Elina, it's far too risky. I'll prepare a truth potion, I'll give some to Malfoy ... and to Theodore, they'll talk, but please, forget the idea." Eden had already lost one friend, she didn't want to risk losing another.

"All right, but if they don't know anything, I will. We have no choice, Eden. Besides, if I die for a good cause..."

"No," Eden cut her off. "Elina, I'm warning you, if you do, I'll kill you! Voldemort is clever, he's powerful and I don't want you to die! I..." she felt her eyes burn. "You're my best friend, my only true friend, I don't want you to die."

Elina opened her mouth a little, but her eyes were burning too She just took Eden in her arms before slipping her hand into hers so they could walk away. The night was cold and there weren't many stars, making the path dangerous.

"Promise me we'll still be friends when we're old," Elina said.

"I promise we'll be bestfriends forever," Eden replied. She smiled, this year had brought them closer together and she was angry that it was because of Joshua's death. She would have preferred it otherwise, but she couldn't change the past, only move forward.