Chapter 2

"You know.... I thought you were very sly and cunning, and I've told the princess several times that she shouldn't trust you."

A black-haired woman in black robes said. She was dressed lightly, not fitting for the battlefield.

"That's right, Laotou, you know me best."

"No. If you were truly cunning, you wouldn't be lying here like this."

Bosha's body lay on the ground like a tattered rag, blood gushing from its eyes and mouth like tar. Upon seeing it, Laotou spoke.

"I thought you were clever... What is this, you stupid bastard? You've just run straight through Count Cyros, and now you're facing a witch's spawn alone! You could have made a decent run for it!"

He couldn't help it. If he had, Ygraine's army would have been cut off from supply and would be disorganized. Someone had to keep the witch's minions from rampaging, and Bosha was the only one who could.

It was a good idea to stay behind, he thought. Bosha succeeded in buying time, and in the meantime, the Black Fangs rushed to Ygraine's army and informed them of Count Cyros' treachery. Eventually, Latou rushed in as reinforcements, and they were able to secure the supply lines.

It was a successful plan. Only one life was lost in the execution of this plan: Bosha's own.

In return, he saved countless lives. Most importantly, it saved Ygraine from the witch. That fact alone filled Bosha's heart with pride.

"Show some respect. There's nothing strange about a mercenary dying on the battlefield."

Bosha felt uncomfortable looking at Latou's sullen face. He was used to seeing her drunkenly chanting, "Give me a drink, give me a drink!" with an unruffled face.

One by one, teardrops fell from his big black eyes, her thin body shuddering. He looked down at Bosha and shouted.

"You stupid bastard! The Lady sent me to save you! How could you ask me to... What the hell kind of face am I supposed to make of Lady Lutea?!"

"C'mon.... you don't even bother to hide it anymore."

Bosha, also known as the Fox of Kaldura, couldn't go unnoticed. And the people calling Ygraine an incarnation of the goddess Lutea would not have known. Princess Ygraine le Fay could not possibly be the goddess Lutea herself.

You'll handle my funeral arrangements, won't you?"

"Shut up, before I kill you!"

If Ygraine is the goddess Lutea, how could her henchman Laotou be any ordinary human? Laotou is actually a giant spider. A black spider with the upper half of a woman. The one that the people of the eastern part of the continent worship as the god of the loom is the one in front of Bosha's eyes right now.

After living for so many years, one would think that she would be used to seeing someone die, but instead, she weeps softly as she stands by the dying Bosha's side.

Bosha looked at her and then closed his eyes. His insides were burning from the poison the witch had left behind. The venom slowly dissolved his flesh and bone, causing pain like he had never known.

Anyone else would have wanted to hasten their death. But Bosha chewed the flesh in his mouth and continued to hold on for dear life as the magic slowly dispersed.

There was only one thing he wanted at that moment. To see her in the snow one last time, before his eyeballs melted away.

How many times did he almost lose consciousness? He couldn't tell. But then, he heard the voice he'd been waiting for. Finally, she was here. With her head bowed, Laotou spoke in a whiny voice.