Chapter 18

"Look at them, look at them, look at their hideousness!" Dersh shouted.

"Don't you see? They tried to kill you by controlling the rats, and if we hadn't come, this square would have been covered in blood— your blood!"

The children were dumbfounded. They didn't understand why there were people in the square, or what Dersh was talking about. They looked nervously to the left and right, their hands tightening on their swords. The children were looking for any sign of Edulis.

"They are not like the other witch's children, they must be his minions, and we must kill them here and now, for your safety!"

It was a plausible explanation. It was unsubstantiated, but such is life. Most of the time, the evidence doesn't matter. The rats are on the loose, and the witch's children have swords. Who are these people confronting them? Aren't they the offspring of a hero?

"We... we're not the witch's alter egos!" Enri's voice was drowned out. No one could stop the anxiety from spreading through the crowd.

"Are they... are they really...."

"If they weren't, why would they be carrying swords? You're probably right, Dersh!"

"Oh, I almost died looking for my watch... descendants of heroes, please save us!"

Usually in a situation like this, the one who has the last word has the advantage. Edulis can't speak up, and Dersh can talk at will. He has more credibility. Dersch is deliberately stirring up anxiety to sway the public to his side.

Edulis held his breath, trying to think of a solution to this situation.

An idea came to him– push through the crowds to the other side of the square, set the streets on fire, and run. Then he'd steal a Velox, hop in, and head for the desert, not the mountains because Fangs don't hide in the desert, and after that, he'd dye his hair or wear a hood...

'But, then all those kids would die.'

Edulis didn't move. Suddenly, Ygraine's words came back to him.

"It was because you had drawn a line between the children and yourself."

He now realized what she meant. Ygraine's words were always like that. They sound like bullshit when you hear them, but after a while, they bloom like flowers in your heart. Edulis hadn't drawn a line. He couldn't draw any boundaries between the human Edulis and the five children.

"Aruru, listen to me from now on," Edulis said in a low voice.

"What?! Have you thought of a way to escape?!"

"Tell Ishkur and the children. Marie and Shumi must lose the tournament tomorrow. As soon as the festival is over, run out of the arena and steal the oldest cart you can find. That's your only chance, so hurry. They won't be able to catch up with you right away because of the busy ceremonies and the large crowds. Then, using Ishkur's dyeing magic, change your hair and eye color and run north toward the Kashiba Desert."

Aruru looked up at Edulis, wide-eyed. "Edulis?! What does that have to do with the situation?!"

"About half a day's ride away, there's an underground passage in the middle of the desert that only I know about. It looks like a cliff from the outside, but there's a way in. I'll tell you where it is and how to get in. Memorize it and lead the children."

"Edulis!"

- Captain Bosha didn't save the children. Captain Bosha saved himself.

She was right. Edulis was trying to save himself. If he were to abandon the children and run away, the human named Edulis would die. His soul would perish. Even if he were to meet Ygraine again, he would be unable to lift his face to look at her.