Chapter 20

Before long, the night had receded. The sun rose in the eastern sky, lighting up the square.

Thud. Thud. Thud.

The sound of marching footsteps overshadowed the beating of drums. The longing cries for falsehood to retreat transformed into the clarion call of awakening, echoing through Baidor.

Ishkur ignited a fire in the hearts of the people. He stood before a crowd with burning hearts and cried out for the truth. Nevertheless, the truth was treated differently by different people.

The people were divided into three groups. Those who marched forward with Ishkur. Those who would run, hide, and cower. And those who would stand on the other side of the truth.

"Father. Where are you going?"

"Zina. What does it look like?"

Kurzina's eyes were streaked with tears, and a steady stream of tears rolled down her white face like condensation on a frozen window in winter. Her hair, the color of the night sky, was disheveled.

She couldn't help it. Edulis was dead. The one who bore Kurzina's blood had killed him. The false ones had killed the truest. Kurzina glared at her father, Hathor, with eyes like shattered blades.

"Where are you going with the guards, and why are they carrying weapons?"

In the eastern part of the Fey manor grounds, in front of the Manor of the Sky, Hathor and the dozens of men with weapons had to stop in their tracks. Kurzina stood in their way.

"Why are you standing around? There's no time to waste."

"Tell me, why are you carrying weapons, and against whom are they directed?"

"Lord Kindatu himself has sent a telegram. A riot has broken out in the square, and he wants me to put it down. Shouldn't you do as you're told? You too, hurry up...."

Hathor could say no more. Kurzina pointed her staff at him. The watery orb at the end of the long ebony staff glistened in the sunlight.

"Ku...Kurzina...? What are you doing, Zina!"

Hathor's heart sank at the sight. Kurzina had never once disobeyed her father. She was a good, obedient child. Hathor loved her dearly. He had never expected her to bare her teeth to him...

Kurzina glared into Hathor's eyes and screamed. "What are you doing, father, have you not smelled the scent of the Delorean flowers? That is not a riot, that is a march to restore the right order!"

"Zina...you have been deluded by the visions the witch has shown you."

"It is not an illusion. It is the truth."

"It is an illusion. You have lived all this time under the name of the hero Bosha, wearing fine clothes and eating fine food. If it is not an illusion... an angry mob will try to take away everything you have. They'll want you to sleep on cold floors and eat weeds and rabbit meat. As your father, I cannot tolerate that."

Kurzina shook her head at the words. "You have fallen, father. Have you forgotten my mother's wishes?"

"I remember. Esna told me over and over again to take good care of you, Zina. I intend to honor her wishes."

"No, you don't. You have forgotten my mother's will."

Kurzina remembered her mother. Her skin was pallid from her illness, but her eyes were tender as she looked at Kurzina.

- When you clasp your hands together toward Luthea, remember that I am the light that floats beside you. To be close to Luthea is to be close to me.