Chapter 10

It is said that when a person dies, they become light. Starlight to guide the lost at dawn. Moonlight to caress the hair of the sleeping. The sunlight that gives life to all things rooted in the earth. The source of all this light is the goddess Lutea, and to worship her is to meet the departed.

It was Kurzina's mother who told her this story in a coughing fit. Kurzina was only five back then.

"Zina, your mother is not leaving you. On the contrary, I will always be with you. When you clasp your hands together toward Lutea, remember that I am the light that hovers over you. To be close to Lutea is to be close to me."

Kurzina believed those words. When her mother, after coughing up blood, lost consciousness and eventually rested in the soil, Kurjina prayed with folded hands. May her mother become the brightest and warmest light in the world. May she become someone who can recognize that light.

Now, Kurzina is convinced. That she had finally met the light.

Kurzina knelt before Edulis. Her white, slender hands grasped Edulis' hands. A tear fell from her ebony eyes.

"Oh, Saint. Our master. We are foolish, and our eyes were blinded and we did not recognize the light, and we have done you a great disrespect...."

Then Aruru, riding on Edulis' hand, cried out in excitement.

"Scion of a witch, a descendant of Bosha is your slave! Why do you claim to be a slave? What have you done? You are no ordinary man after all!"

Kurzina glared at Aruru and said.

"Watch your tongue, foolish field mouse! He is not the offspring of a witch. He heals the wounds of his enemies and rekindles the extinguished life... He is the source of all light!"

"What?! How dare this little one call me foolish! I'll bite your ankles off!"

"Bi... Bite me? You little mouse. If you...!"

Edulis clamped his mouth shut and looked around. His anger dissipated. Aruru was alive and chattering away, and Yug was stunned, his eyes glazing over.

Edulis squinted, trying to piece together the information. Something had happened while he was out cold. Apparently, it had caused Kurzina to mistake Edulis for Lutea. What was it?

It was strange. So was the process of blacking out. It didn't feel like falling asleep or passing out. It was as if his consciousness had sunk into the depths and someone else had taken its place.

It was then that Edulis continued to ponder.

"Stand up, Zina,"

Raghad said, coming up beside her. When Kurzina didn't get up, he shook her shoulder and raised his voice.

"Zina, do you realize what you're doing?! A descendant of the heroic Bosha stoops to the knees of a descendant of Ygraine, that's.!"

"Brother, didn't you see it, too? The way the white, warm light enveloped Tug and the mouse. That's a miracle no one can duplicate. That must be...."

"No, it can't be, how can the cursed blood be imbued with Great Lutea?"

Kurzina said, glaring at Lagarde.

"The believer sees Lutea in the darkness without a single spark of light, and the unbeliever cannot grasp her hand even when she reaches out to him... Right now, my brother, you are not taking Lutea's outstretched hand. You have seen the true light, but you deny what you have seen. If it's imbued with Lutea, doesn't that mean it's not cursed blood?"

"Nonsense. His silver hair and the scars on the back of his neck are proof that he is the descendant of a witch!"

"What are you claiming, brother? Is there anyone else in the world, besides Great Lutea, who can rekindle life that has died? Are you going to call that the work of a witch? If it is the work of a witch to give life and show mercy, aren't we right to serve her?"