Chapter 40

The Ascidian region is a large area that stretches along the coast. It consists of eight villages adjacent to the coastline and five villages that connect it to the interior. The largest of these, Garug, is adjacent to the Masataba hills. They enter the village as beggars, and indeed, they act like beggars.

"Please, spare just a penny, sir."

With lye-soaked faces, haggard expressions, and pitiful voices, Edulis looked like nothing more than a beggar as he buried his face in the ground.

"Oh dear, how did such a young one end up like this, tsk tsk."

A coin clinked as it fell into the can in front of Edulis.

"Thank you! Thank you! You will be blessed, sir!"

With his head still to the ground, Edulis laughed slyly. After the man who threw the coin left, Ishcur asked in a low voice.

"...Hey, why are you so good at this?"

"On the contrary, I want to ask you, do you have any idea what the hell you're doing or not?"

"For a first-timer, aren't I doing well? I've made a few pennies too. Look." Ishkur rattled the tin.

"No, your voice lacks desperation. It doesn't sound like a beggar at all."

"Then go and say that to Murjana."

"Hmm..."

Edulis looked at Murjana's tin can. There was nothing in it but dust. It wasn't that Murjana was lazy, she just wasn't good at begging.

"Hey, old bearded man."

"Me, you mean me?"

"That's right. It's embarrassing and shameless, but I have an urgent favor to ask of you, old man."

Murjana stared at the man's face. The man stiffened, looked around, and then spoke.

"I'm sorry, young lady. Find someone else. I don't want to get into anything dangerous."

"Dangerous? It's not like that, old man. It's not dangerous at all! It's just a little inconvenience to you. Very slight and insignificant...."

"Yikes! Find someone else!"

The man hobbled away in a huff.

"No, why...."

Edulis said to Murjana, who was scratching her head. "Why don't you understand? Why are you so forceful?"

"I wasn't forceful."

"Murjana... you've got too much attitude, don't you think you should have a gleam in your eye and flattery in your voice?"

"Didn't I just do that?"

Edulis was dumbfounded. Who would think that was begging? It seemed more like she was about to ask someone to smuggle drugs.

"Start by smiling. Here."

"Hehehehe.... like this?"

"A little more, with the corners of your mouth up."

"Um... like this?"

"More!"

Murjana put her fingers to the corners of her mouth and pushed her cheeks up. Her chubby cheeks were quite cute, but her expression was not. She looked like she could kill someone right now and it wouldn't be weird.

"Ah... there's no hope. Edulis, let's just do it ourselves."

"You're being harsh, Ishkur. I can do this. Look, hehehe...."