Chapter 69

Time seemed to stand still. The morning sun warmed the ground, and a cool breeze blew through the ruins. Is this real? Could it be a dream? I've felt this way before... Enri remembered. Yes, that's when Methena died, her head severed at the hands of Edulis, but why? Why would Raghad do the same to Methena now?

Was it because Methena had tried to defend Edulis? Had anger already overtaken love in Raghad's heart? Was it not love but madness that shone in his eyes?

A million questions flashed through Enri's mind in the space of a few seconds, and then a glaring realization. They have to move now! They have to do something!

"Aaaah! Methena!!"

"What are you doing, Raghad!"

"You're crazy! We shouldn't have left you with Methena!"

Time began to move. People rushed toward Raghad. To tear him away and save Methena.

"Ugh...ugh...." Methena struggled to push Raghad's body away from his sword, but it was no use.

Enri, who was the first to reach Methena, pulled the sword out of Raghad's body. Raghad let go of the sword and fell to the ground in a heap. Mari, Shuri, and Harsh surrounded his body.

Raghad was dead. His eyes were open, but he saw nothing. But his magick still pulsed from the sword he had plunged into Methena's back.

How did it come to this...Enri thought for he knew it was not his usual magick. The flames that surrounded the sword were black-red and as sticky as blood. It wasn't just magick that Raghad had put into his sword; he had burned his own life into it, adding it to the blow that stabbed Methena.

"Come on...." Methena said. "Hurry up... take the sword...."

Enri tugged at Raghad's sword to save Methena, who groaned in pain. But then he had a question. Methena, what did you just say?

Raghad was dead. Methena is a kind person. She sheds tears over the deaths of people she doesn't even know. The usual Methena would have worried about Raghad first...

"Hurry!" Methena shouted. Enri was puzzled, but he pulled Raghad's sword from Methena's chest. Methena crumpled to the ground.

"Ugh...."

A white light gathered in Methena's hand and she pressed it to the hole in her chest. The flesh began to wriggle. Red smoke rose from the punctured flesh, which would not heal easily. As Enri watched, he still had questions.

Why... why won't she even look at Raghad's body?

Moreover, there was another question.

How could Methena... be able to use this kind of healing magic? We've never even learned magic properly...

Enri looked around. He realized he wasn't the only one who felt uncomfortable with Methena. Mari, Shuri, and Harsh looked at her, fear written all over their faces.

Just then, someone came out of the bushes. A wolf-headed man, a black-haired woman, a girl with a black butterfly on her cheek, and a silver-haired boy.

"This is where it ends for you," Edulis said, looking at Methena.

***.

The murderous Edulis appeared. The enemy of Methena, the enemy of Kurzina, the enemy of Lutea's will. We must stop him from killing our dear ones again!

Some of those gathered shouted this and ran toward Edulis.

"Laotou, Shamas, stop them."

At Edulis' command, Shamas tripped the charging men and knocked them down. Laotou tied their limbs tightly with spider webs.