Chapter 49

- No. Humans are...

The image of Ygraine weeping flashed through Edulis's mind. She had trusted humans endlessly. She was betrayed over and over, but she still trusted them.

"My soul will fall into the abyss." Edulis thought. "If my soul is going to fall, then let all those who grieve Ygraine be my allies. Let me go to hell with all those who deceive men and scoff at goodness. May Ygraine be betrayed no more!"

The shielded faces of the soldiers turned toward Edulis. Only dark shadows remained where their eyeballs used to be. They blocked the bridge, the only way in and out of the moated castle.

After burying Armillo's body in the ground, Edulis stepped toward them and swung his sword. Their thick heavy armor, their man-sized shields, meant nothing in the face of Edulis' sword. They were all cut down like pieces of wood, scattering on the ground.

The neighboring villagers watched from a distance, then began to run away, panting.

"Don't... run!"

"Call the garrison in Mushif, there's a killer on the loose!"

However, they could not see the tears in Edulis's eyes, nor the empty eyeballs of the shieldmen. All they saw was the blood-stained ground, scattered flesh and bone, and a boyish creature that trampled over them and continued its slaughter.

"Ed...Edulis?" Kishi stumbled back from Edulis. He didn't recognize him. The Edulis he knew was wild and fierce, like a wild beast, yet also affectionate and generous. But now he was like a blade of ice.

"The government troops are coming. We must leave... We must leave this place...." Kishi said, his voice trembling. No, he tried to speak, but only a small voice came out, like a fly or mosquito buzzing.

Edulis's eyes glowed cold as gems. Shards of metal and flesh flew through the air. Covered in blood, Edulis wordlessly slashed at his enemies. The process seemed dry, like cutting paper or chopping firewood.

"It's scary! Edulis is acting strange!" Aruru exclaimed, now perched on Murjana's shoulder. The hidden children behind Murjana grabbed her clothes and shivered.

"Miss, let's run away now!"

"If we don't run, he'll kill us too."

Murjana stared at Edulis' back, then shook her head. "No, kids, he's not like that."

But the frightened children shook their heads in disbelief. They tugged at Murjana's clothes. They were afraid that the good Murjana who had saved them would die. But Murjana shook them off and ran toward Edulis.

"Miss!"

It took only a few minutes for the shieldmen to be annihilated by Edulis' hand. Soon, the drawbridge began to rise. The regent was about to seal the castle.

Edulis raced across the drawbridge like a pterodactyl preparing to take flight, and when the angle between the drawbridge and the ground reached about 45 degrees, he leaped into the air. His body spun through the air like a shuriken and landed with a thud in front of the gates. The gates shattered like thin ice under Edulis's kick.

"What the hell?!"

"How did he...."

The soldiers inside the castle panicked and pointed their spears at Edulis. In response, Edulis said.

"You cooperated, knowing that Armillo's purpose was to twist the souls of men. Those who had nothing to do with it and are innocent, come forward." The voice of a boy, who had not yet reached puberty, sounded like the growl of a chained beast. His blood-soaked body looked sinister. Anyone could see that the boy was not normal.