Chapter 28

Thud. The strength drained from Edulis' body. Edulis collapsed, resting his head on the shoulder of the sleeping Laotou.

"Edulis! Edulis, what's going on? We've only just met Lord Laotou!" Aruru exclaimed, bouncing on top of Edulis' sleeping body.

Taharka stared at the scene in disbelief.

- You know how smart Lutea is, I'm sure she's got some sort of plan up her sleeve, one that fools like you and me can't think of.

That's what Taharka had said to Laotou when they first met.

"Are you sure... are you sure?"

"Yes. Let's wait together. We have to see the witch fall, right?"

Taharka decided to hope with Laotou, and together they began hiding in the Spider Forest. But for forty years, hope did not come. No one came to the forest, and only the witch's servants roamed the waters of Lake Kebese.

Laotou had visibly weakened. Her laughter became more and more forced, her energy less and less. One day, she said,

"I'm sorry, I need to get some sleep. Can you watch over me? If someone comes while I'm asleep...."

The sleep of an apostle is unique. It consumes those it touches in its dreams.

Taharka listened to Laotou and guarded her bed. To prevent bad people from entering Laotou's dreams and causing nightmares. To prevent good people from getting lost in Laotou's dreams and losing themselves.

Another forty years passed, and someone came to the forest, a child with silver hair.

'Bosha, are you really the hope that Laotou has been waiting for....'

Taharka placed his hand on Edulis' sleeping back. Edulis must be wandering in Laotou's dreams right now.

'Please... wake Lady Laotou'.

***

"Why are you so dazed? Where's your drink?"

"Huh?"

"What's the matter, Bosha. Are you drunk after only one drink?"

Laotou said.

Bosha looked around. It was a familiar tavern. The Black Fang's favorite tavern. Vala had been kicked out once for flirting with the barmaid here.

"Ha, that can't be right, we're just getting started!"

"That's the spirit, Captain Bosha! What song are you going to sing me tonight?"

"Shut up and drink."

Bosha had never won a duel with Laotou, but he was no slouch when it came to drinking. But a few nights ago, Bosha got so drunk that he sang uncharacteristically loudly. It's something that Laotou still teases her about.

Bosha was furious and asked for a rematch. Today, he was going to drink through his nose in broad daylight.

"Here we go... a toast to a peaceful world!"

"Cheers to Laotou!"

Laotou shouted her toast, and everyone in the bar raised their glasses in response. Most of them are civil construction workers. On their days off from work, they gather at the bar to hang out with Laotou. What is an apostle? In a world without witches, Laotou has become the bar's mascot. Cute, talkative, and a good drinker, no one didn't liked her.

There was just one person who interrupted the drinking.

"Toasting to a peaceful world.... Nice words."