Chapter 68

We must return to the Spider Forest. The heart of the goddess Lutea is the world's last hope. The moment Akale takes it, the world will be lost to the witch. Even if Akale is stronger, we must protect it at all costs.

But... is it really a good idea? We don't know what Leaf is trying to do by tricking the children. Should we leave them alone and go to confront Akale? Would Lutea approve of such an action? Wasn't it right to defeat Rif somehow, now that she's outnumbered?

These thoughts raced through Laotou's mind, but she couldn't show such feelings to Leaf.

"Leaf, I'm going to kill you. How long do you think you can last?" Laotou spoke in a menacing tone, not stopping to swing her axe spear.

The more Laotou's shadows flickered, the more her offense intensified. She could not hide the urgency in her voice. Seeing this, Leaf spoke in a relaxed voice,

"If that's what you guys want, go for it. I can hold out for two days, but are you sure about that? Surely Lord Akale will take the heart of the goddess by then."

Blood dripped from Leaf's mouth as she spoke. Shamash's mace had struck Leaf in the abdomen. Shamash thought.

"I have sent the signal. Edulis will arrive soon. He has the strength of an apostle, and with the three of us working together, it shouldn't take long to slay Leaf."

They couldn't leave Leaf alone, nor could they ignore the danger lurking at Spirder Forest. Time is of the essence. Leaf must be killed as soon as possible. As the two apostles launched their desperate offensive...

"Is... anyone there?" A child's voice came from the bushes. Leaf chuckled.

"That's Yuri's voice."

Then Leaf's body melted and her molten form flowed through the bushes. Leaf could hear the child's nearing footsteps.

"She's taking hostages, Shamas! Stop her!"

Shamas flapped his wings and charged but a barrier of earth rose from the ground. At the same time, black spears rained down from a black magic circle.

Leaf saw Yuri in the distance and waved her hand. In Methena's soft, gentle voice, she shouted.

"Yuri. It's me."

"Methena, what are you doing there?"

"I tripped, can you help me?"

"You're bleeding?"

Leaf had already wrapped her arms around Yuri's neck by the time Laotou rushed over and broke the wall of earth.

"Shit!"

It was just a little further. Why now! If we charge at Leaf now, she will use Yuri as a shield. There's no way an apostle of Lutea could harm a child...

Laotou thought.

"I'm sorry, Laotou. My strength is not enough."

"Now is not the time for that!"

Laotou's shadow staggered.

It was only a few minutes later that Edulis and Murjana arrived on the scene.

***

"We have no choice but to tell the people." Shamas's normally calm voice had lost its edge.

"You killed Methena to protect her soul from Bashme, and it was not you, Edulis, who killed Kurzina, but Leaf. And the one taking on Methena's appearance now is indeed Leaf."

"They will believe us if we. the apostles, say so. We must hurry. We must get rid of Leaf and protect the heart of the Goddess."

Murjana also joined in,.