Chapter 67

It's a miracle. It's a blessing. As expected, Lutea is watching over them. They roasted animal meat, poured liquor made from fermented tree fruit, and feasted. The beggars dwelling in the imperial family's tomb danced without knowing why. Whatever it is, it must be some good news...

"Look, Methena. We're not what we used to be. We're not weak anymore. We won't be deceived by anyone," As Enri spoke, Methena's eyes scanned Enri from head to toe. Frowning and narrowing her eyes, she spoke in a low voice.

"Enri. You used to be happier than you are now, and now you look very anxious and... sad."

"I can't help it. We had to become like this." Enri bowed his head, his voice tinged with coldness.

"We must defeat Edulis. He has deceived us, slaughtered people, and even killed you, Methena."

Methena shook her head. "Enri, that's not what Lutea wants. Lutea wants you to be happy. She wants you to live your lives without hate or resentment."

"You mean we should just let Edulis run around the world killing people?"

"Haven't you thought there might be a reason? Was the Edulis you know someone who massacred people without any reason? Can't you think more calmly?"

"But Edulis killed you..."

Methena put a hand on Enri's shoulder. "Enri, look at me. I'm alive, so wipe the hatred from your eyes. Use that strength to be happy. Look, we're freer than we've ever been."

Just then, Aruru scuttled out of Methena's arms and perched on her shoulder, bouncing up and down.

"Methena is right! Edulis didn't slaughter people indiscriminately! Everyone he killed had their souls twisted by the witch! The children he killed weren't even human!"

Hearing this, the faces of those around, including Enri and the descendants of Ygraine, hardened.

"Aruru... is that true?"

"Yes! I thought he was crazy at first, too, but he wasn't, because I saw them in the form of children, teaching people to curse!"

Enri swallowed hard. He had thought there might be a reason for Edulis's actions. But after seeing Metena die, he abandoned that thought. They decided that their beliefs were wrong and that Edulis, the reincarnation of Bosha, was an evil man who saw human life as a toy. They accepted all the information about his evil deeds.

But what if that wasn't the case? What if every murder he committed was for a reason? What if it was for Luthea's sake? The act of attacking him while blaming him...

"Then, why did Edulis kill Methena?"

The descendants of Ygraine all fell silent, staring at Aruru's small mouth, waiting for the words to come out of it.

"I don't know! I didn't see the scene directly! But it seemed like Edulis was trying to fight someone alone. Maybe there was a reason?"

Enri asked, looking at Methena. "Do you have any idea why?"

"I don't know. But I also think there must be a reason,"

Enri felt a lump in the pit of his stomach. What if there really was a reason? If Edulis wasn't evil, if he was fighting this battle alone, then they'd...

It was then.

"Bullshit, rat," Raghad said. His eyes were bloodshot from months of poor sleep and his voice was raspy.

"Can't you see through your tiny rat eyes what kind of person Methena is? He had a reason for killing Methena?"

"What?! Rat eyes? Are you done talking?! Here's what I think! The truth is that the witch killed Methena for..."