Chapter 43

Petra took a step toward Ishkur, and a memory flashed in her mind that was as vivid as if it had been colored with paint.

The sound of waves crashing against rocks howled from the distance. Young Ishkur curled up in fear at the sound, for it sounded like a monster roaring. Ishkur's mother patted him on the back as he cowered.

- It's okay, even if a monster comes, I'll protect you.

With that, she sang him a lullaby, and before he knew it, the sound of the waves had faded away, and only her voice echoed in his head. Her soft voice, her warm touch.

"Edulis. What are you going to do?" Murjana asked, her grip tightening on her sword. "I think we must subdue her. The others are focused on maintaining the magic circle, so let's go while we can."

Murjana was ready to spring into action, but Edulis stepped in her way.

Petra moved closer to Ishkur and opened her arms, hugging him tightly. Ishkur did not resist the touch. Ishkur thought of his days with the Feys. The emotionless voice. The cold stares. The adults gave no affection to Ishkur, who was not of their blood.

Was he worth anything to them?

Ishkur thought of the public when he faced Tibea. People who could change their attitudes in an instant to suit their own interests.

Was he worth anything to them?

Perhaps none. His mother was right. The name Lutea means nothing. People wear it like a fashionable name, only to throw it to the ground and trample on it at any moment.

His mother was different. She hasn't changed. Her arms are still warm and fragrant. For twelve years, no one has ever held Ishkur like this. Everyone has drawn a line in the sand and Ishkur was always outside of it.

Let those of us who are inside the line love each other. Let us be kind to each other. Those outside the line don't matter. That's what she was saying, but is it wrong? Isn't that how we all live?

"Ishkur, are you okay with that?" Edulis asked. Ishkur did not answer. "If it's good for you, that's all that matters."

"Edulis?" Murjana looked at Edulis with a questioning look on her face. Edulis shook his head.

There were no horns on Petra's face, no butterfly tattoo. She genuinely worships Granadilla, and she intends to share that happiness with Ishkur.

There have been others like her before, humans who believe Granadilla is right, who stand by her side. Ygraine did not punish them. Instead, she held them close.

- I love you. Even if you deny me everything.

People build fences around their hearts. After letting a few people into the fence, they tremble and start to let them out one by one. Then, one day, when they suddenly find themselves alone, they start to listen to the voice of Granadilla.

"Everyone is engulfed in anxiety, trembling inside the fences that separate one from others. Crouched down, people can't see beyond the fence. Ygraine said.

- There will come a day when the space inside the fence will gradually widen and bring us all together.

- Then we'll all realize that we never needed a fence in the first place.

All one can do is wait until they lift their heads and look outside the fence. Waiting for that day, Lutea would always be the closest to the fence. No matter how many hateful and resentful people pointed their spears at her, she treated them with love.

"But, Ishkur." Edulis said. "Even if you sided with Granadilla, Lutea would still love you."

Petra frowned at those words.