Chapter 50

Ever since he left Lunia, Edulis had been quiet. He was never a talkative person, but he would say what he needed to say about their destination and plans. But after killing Armillo and the regent proxy in Lunia, Edulis became less willing to answer questions. He devoted himself exclusively to the care of his sword.

His eyes were shadowed with blackness, and his pupils seemed to drift with thoughts as he stared into space. Edulis's white, clean skin reeked of blood and guts. The odor didn't fade even as he bathed in the flowing river. Kishi was horrified by this, but Murjana was not.

She felt sorry for Edulis. She had seen Edulis weep as he swung his sword at Armillo, burying his bones in the ground. Edulis' expression as he sharpened his sword was no different than it had been at that moment, and so it seemed to Murjana that he had been crying continuously.

She wanted to share that sadness, that pain, to comfort him, but she couldn't find a way. Before she could, Edulis said.

"You must go a different way from me."

Murjana immediately denied it. "There is nowhere to return to. Wherever you go, I shall follow."

Then Edulis shook his head. "If you don't like Kaldura, Kuzina in Vaidor will take you in, and the people of Garug in Ascidia will welcome you. There are many places you can go and a lot of people will take you in."

"No. I don't like any of the places you mentioned."

Murjana was stubborn. Just then, the guards on the floor began to stagger to their feet.

"Find a place to leave. Take Aruru with you."

"I will follow you to the end." With that, Murjana climbed into the chariot.

As they ran away from the guards, Edulis thought. 'I need to find a place to get away from her.'

Murjana, on the other hand, was thinking. 'I just want to go the same way as you, Edulis....'

***

Much of southern Gudea is rugged jungle. Intermittent torrential rains keep the soil soggy, and poisonous insects, beasts, and dangerous creatures abound, making it an inhospitable environment for humans.

Nevertheless, some stay and live here. They are the so-called "forest people". They live in groups of dozens or even hundreds, gathering, hunting, and facing dangers together. Each group has a different name and personality, but people outside the jungle refer to them collectively as "forest people.

"This is not a suitable environment for Velox to run in, so I'll wait at the nearby station," Kishi said, before entering the jungle. He was still looking at Edulis with fear in his eyes. Would he continue to wait for him?

It doesn't matter if he doesn't, Edulis thought and entered the jungle. Murjana followed Edulis.

They came to a wide stone floor and a flowered entrance shortly after entering the jungle. It was the village of the Arakir, a tribe that lives in the farthest reaches of the jungle. They had to cross it to reach the ruins of Rekabi.

The village was tucked away in the dense foliage, with little light and no view of the outside world, but the pathways and buildings were well organized. Being at the edge of the jungle, they've embraced a lot of outside culture.

The people were all dark-skinned, wearing thin and revealing clothes to cope with the hot and humid climate.

The looker rang a bell to announce the arrival of outsiders, and an old man with a bent back stepped forward. When he saw Edulis and Murjana, he greeted them.