Chapter 65

A headless body lay in Edulis's arms. On a night when the moon hid behind clouds, Edulis treaded the rugged wasteland cautiously, holding the corpse as if cradling a precious glass artifact or a bag filled with gold coins, worried that even a single drop of blood might spill carelessly.

"Do not engage them directly! Keep your distance and throw your spears! Archers, do not cease fire! We cannot afford to give them a moment's rest. Even a dragon tires after three days and nights of pursuit!"

Mukaji shouted. The pursuing party, which had numbered only a hundred men, had swelled to about five hundred. The Curtis garrison had been joined by a company of heavy cavalry that had been stationed in Vaidor for a short time, as well as garrisons from the neighboring regions.

Murjana followed Edulis, her jaw clenched tight.

- Tell me, why did you lie?

When Edulis asked, looking into her with his transparent, blank eyes, Murjana suddenly felt incredibly small. A childish anger swirled within her cramped heart.

- Edulis, she didn't trust you. But I am different! I have never doubted you. I only followed you, thought of you, acted for you, then why...

The words spilled out of her mouth in sobs that she could barely contain.

- Why aren't you looking at me? Why are you only looking at her?

Her heart felt like it was on fire. She couldn't lift her head. She couldn't bring herself to look into his eyes, too afraid to see herself reflected in them. Edulis was driven by a mission, and Murjana was held back by her own childishness.

- I see.

With that, Edulis placed his hand on the top of Murjana's head.

- Let's go.

Murjana obeyed. Together, she and Edulis fought their way through the heavy soldiers and escaped Curtis. She could no longer shout for Edulis. She couldn't tell him to leave Kurzina's body behind. She knew that no matter what she said, Edulis would not follow through.

She still wanted to take Kurzina's body away from Edulis. But at the same time, she remembered Edulis's eyes looking at her.

It's over, Murjana thought as she watched Edulis' back as he ran. She must hate me now.

Her black, ugly heart was exposed. She gave it all to Edulis. What would Edulis say when the chase was over? Would he try to kill her and say that there shouldn't be anything like her in Lutea's world? No, he's a kind person, and he won't do that. Then, would he ask her to part ways and go their separate ways? No. She doesn't want to leave his side. She'd rather...

Murjana didn't care about the pursuing soldiers. All she could think about was Edulis. Then Edulis spoke.

"Murjana."

She felt her heart sink. She was afraid of the words that would come out of his mouth next. Seb wouldn't be surprised if Edulis said goodbye at this point. But this soon? She wanted to stay with him just a little longer.......

"I'm looking at you," Edulis said. Still running, looking ahead.

Murjana looked up, not sure what she'd heard. All she could see was Edulis' back and the back of his head.

"You're not looking," a childish whine escaped Murjana's mouth. As soon as she spat it out, she regretted it. She hadn't meant to say this. But Edulis spoke anyway.

"One does not need eyes to see. I have always been watching you." For a moment, Edulis's voice felt as warm as a spring breeze. "It is my fault for not letting you know, Murjana."