Chapter 66

A tombstone should not have been erected. Kurzina should not have been laid to rest within it. Kurzina could have lived. She could have lived to follow the will of Lutea and look after her followers.

The black butterfly should not have been allowed to perch. Murjana's ivory eyes should have remained clear. She could have cultivated her white magi, trained to be a warrior of Lutea. She could have befriended Kurzina.

Edulis felt hot inside. Embers of rage fell upon his mind and burned brightly. The fire spread, threatening to consume his very soul. It was clear who had violated Kurzina, and Murjana.

"I...I don't know much, I swear! It's impossible to understand what's going on inside Leaf's head.... Anyway, you shouldn't get involved with her, even the rest of us are afraid of her and avoid her, and I'm not the only one who tried to get rid of her...."

Bowing her head in front of Edulis, Ayresha spoke with a shudder.

"I'm already involved. And so are you, who possess my heart. I cannot tolerate that person being alive. They must disappear first for Lutea's world to come. So tell me, where is that person now?"

"I don't know... I really don't...." Ayresha sulked. Then, behind her, Laotou muttered.

"Leaf....that's really weird."

Shamash nodded in agreement. Ayresha looked at them and asked.

"What is it?"

Shamash answered. "We were born of Lutea's blood, and we have watched Granadilla's every move since we were born, and we know all about her minions. But who is this Leaf? Perhaps the newest member of Granadilla's forces while we slept?"

"No... Leaf has lived for thousands of years."

"Hmm...."

Shamash did not press further. It was unlikely she was lying. As one of the witch's minions, it would take many years to nurture an ego to the point where it could move freely without Granadilla's will. So how could the apostles not know about her?

Edulis threatened Ayresha again. "Tell me. Even if what you know is of little consequence, spit out what you know. I'll kill you if you show a hint that you're holding back."

"Eeek!"

Then Ayresha began to speak.

***

Before the Kingdom of Astania unified the continent, there was a kingdom in the west called Bronadi. Neketmut was a princess of the kingdom of Bronadi.

Bronadi was a weak nation whose people made their living from fishing. To survive, they needed to maintain alliances with other nations, and marriage was one of the ways they did that. For Bronadi, a princess was merely a diplomatic tool.

"Rashid, can't you run away with me? I would be happy to live in a hut made of straws, catching fish and seaweed, as long as I'm with you."

Neketmut said. Rashid was the general in charge of the army of the Kingdom of Bronadi. Upon hearing Neketmut's words, Rashid shook his head.

"My Lady, I have heard that Prince Kasim of the Amura Empire is a respectable brave man. He is ambitious but gentle with his people, and I believe that life with him will not be unhappy. To continue the glory of the Bronadi, your Highness, please consider your role."

"Rashid... don't you love me?"

Rashid bowed his head, avoiding her eyes. "I'll pretend I didn't hear you right now."

Neketmut was eventually married to Prince Kasim. It was the ceremony that was the problem. Prince Kasim had hidden troops at the venue and launched a surprise attack. All Bronadi's dignitaries were assassinated, except for Neketmut.