Chapter 34

The same face, the same voice, but Edulis could tell that she was something else entirely. She had dark hair and dark eyes, unlike Ygraine's, and she gave off a different aura. Her voice was similar to Ygraine's but overly sweet. It tickled the ears as if someone was speaking right next to you, even though they were far away. It was like painting the inside of the ears with honey.

"To have overcome the malice of the witch whose blood runs through your veins, and eventually reach my side is something that deserves to be praised a hundred times. It is something that everyone should know and bless."

"Thank you..."

Edulis' heart was boiling like a volcano about to erupt. How dare she call herself Lutea and impersonate Ygraine! But Edulis put on a face with all his might. Somehow, he managed to make his face look like he was happy to see the goddess.

"Rise, Edulis, and come to me."

Edulis did as he was told. As he rose and took a step, a sour, sweet smell hit his nostrils, like burning dried fruit.

"Look into my eyes."

Those eyes. Those eyes made Edulis' heart freeze. They were as dark as the bottom of the ocean, and he felt like he was sinking to the bottom of the sea— crushed by the pressure of the water, unable to float, suffocated by the water rushing into his lungs. Looking into those eyes felt like he would lose his mind. Edulis had felt something like this before. It was when he met the witch Granadilla in person. A normal person would go insane just by looking into her eyes.

"Do you swear, Edulis, that throughout your life you will seek good, hate evil, and act under the will of Lutea?"

The woman in the form of Ygraine said, placing her hand on top of Edulis' head. Then Edulis's head became hot as if she had set his brain on fire. His stomach refluxed, leaving a sour taste in his mouth, but he swallowed hard and answered.

"Yes."

"Do you swear, Edulis, that you are willing to give what you have to others, to be a strength to the powerless and the hungry?"

"Yes."

"Do you swear, Edulis, that you will always remain an army of light, even when the darkness tries to seduce you with sweet words?"

"Yes."

The question and answer went back and forth three times. She smiled wryly.

"Edulis, in the name of Lutea, I bless you. You will now be free from all the restrictions that come with being the child of a witch. The saints will give you every support for your growth, and on the day you come of age, you will be honored with me as a pillar of support for Astania."

"I am so overwhelmed with honor that I cannot contain myself; every hair on my head belongs to Lutea, and I will serve her with all that I am!"

Edulis said, looking as ecstatic as he could. He swallowed back gastric juices that came back up to his esophagus.

"Is this Granadilla herself? ...No, it's not that bad, but this overwhelming feeling of...."

Edulis wore nine-string bracelets on his left forearm. They were the Hair of the Seven Sages.

A long, long time ago, there was a wise man named Psunensis who grew seven heads to gain greater wisdom, but it is said that the seven heads couldn't stop fighting and eventually stabbed themselves in the chest. While he was too silly to be called a wise man, his hair had great value. It is said to be more effective at warding off curses and magic than any other talisman. Of course, there aren't many left who know its value, but...