Chapter 44

Humans are ugly. Humans do ugly things to survive in a filthy world. Endless suffering. Endless sacrifice. If one has to live in a dirty world, then people would rather be the executioner than the sacrificed. Is it wrong to think that way?

Granadilla says it's not wrong. She guarantees peace and happiness to the chosen ones. And we have been chosen. What greater glory could there be in this world? That was the thought most Ascidians had, and now there was a small crack in that thought. A crack so small it's almost invisible. A doubt as thin as a thread.

A flurry of light chased away the darkness, and the children wrapped in white light shattered the circle of magic. It was a scene that clashed with what the Ascidians believed. They believed Granadilla's power overwhelmed Lutea. They thought Granadilla's world would go on forever. What if it didn't?

Many of the Ascidians could only stare at Edulis. Searching for answers to the questions in their minds. But others did not.

One cried out. "Ah, we have betrayed our faith. We have marred the world of Granadilla. We must repair the magic circle quickly. Chosen ones, return to your original form and reclaim the glory of Granadilla!"

With that, he drew a dagger, shaped like a snake's tongue, and stabbed himself in the chest. Another one then shouted.

"Fear not! Granadilla embraces us for who we truly are! Let's drive out the hypocrites and add to the magic circle!"

This person also stabbed his chest with a dagger, followed by dozens of others. All had ecstatic expressions on their faces.

Edulis and Murjana's pupils dilated as they watched.

"Murjana, look after Elena."

With that, Edulis rushed forward. He swung his sword at those Ascidians hesitating to follow suit. He targeted the blade of their daggers. Rolling across the floor, the dagger looked like a writhing black snake.

"What do you think you're doing?" Edulis asked in an angry voice.

Then the Ascidian spoke, his voice trembling. "Uh... we... we must return to our original form."

"What do you mean, your original selves?!"

As Edelis shouted, a squirming sound began to be heard around him. It came from the corpses of those who had stabbed themselves. Soon, large faces crawled out of the corpses' chests. They looked like giant lizards with human faces, their backs covered in barnacle-like growths from which black pus flowed.

"Hehe...hehehe."

The faces laughed. They traced their fingers through the black pus on the floor and drew magic circle symbols.

"Heh, heh!"

The people around the transformed ones stumbled back. From the lizard's mouth came a sound like a chicken crowing with its throat twisted.

"What are ye, and why do ye not accept the light of truth?"

"Unbelievers! Those who hide their hearts! You are unworthy of Granadilla's blessing!"

As the lizard scolded those who had not taken up their swords, tentacles crawled out of its back and shot out like arrows aimed at the people around them.

Swoosh!

Edulis's sword sliced through the tentacles as it lunged for him.

Edulis furrowed his brow. He looked around sharply with his eyes like the blade of a sword. A few people holding daggers caught his eye. Edulis pushed through the lunging tentacles and ran toward them. Swiftly, he twisted their hands, kicked them in the back, and slapped their blades. He kicked the dagger away from them as it fell to the ground and shouted.