Episode 5: An Hour with Everyone (Babs & Miles)

Scene 15

They find the comic book store and head inside. Babs thanks Miles for joining her today. "Harleen was busy today, so she wasn't going to be around to do some comic book hunting," Babs said. "But I'm glad you came along today. Do you happen to enjoy comics?" Miles doesn't enjoy comics that much. "Well, I mean, I'll read one if it's good," Miles said. "What good comics does this store have?"

Babs tells Miles it's mostly Batman comics. There's also some Superman, Aquaman, and many more. "So are these all the comics you like to read?" Miles asks. Babs giggles a little bit. "Miles, the comics I like are related to Batman," Babs said. "As I told you back when we were working on your tracking chip, I've always wanted to be like Batman. That's why I started reading his comics. Come on, I'll show you the Batman section." She grabs his hand and they run over to the Batman section. Miles was surprised to see the Batman section. "Whoa, that's a lot for Batman," he said. "Not even Spider-Man has a comic section this big." Babs softly smiled.

She begins to find a comic that introduces Batman and who he is. "Here we go," she said. "Batman Begins." She walks over to Miles and shows him the comic. "Miles, this comic book will explain more about who Batman is," Babs said. "You're going to enjoy this for sure." She grabs Miles's hand and sits down on the ground. She opens the comic book and begins to read it with Miles.

Inside the comic, we see Batman's origin. A crime fighter that fights only at night in Gotham city. No one knows the identity of Batman. He doesn't kill villains since he has a strict code on this, and works with the Gotham City Police to bring villains to justice. He'll only kill if it's necessary. He faces off against villains like the Penguin, Two-Face, the Riddler, Mr. Freeze, Bane, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, and his arch-nemesis the Joker.

"Wow," Miles said. "Spider-Man doesn't even have that many villains. Batman sounds really cool." Babs was happy to see Miles taking more of an interest to Batman. "Yeah. Some of these villains you've heard before were Poison Ivy, Catwoman, and Harley Quinn," Babs said. "Although, Harley Quinn is now on our side after an incident involving a friendship." Miles raised an eyebrow. Babs came to his ear and whispered to him, "Don't tell anyone this, but Harleen is Harley Quinn. I didn't know this either until after an incident involving Gotham almost getting destroyed. I had to reveal my identity to her to get her to see the good. It almost caused a broken friendship between us, but in the end, it all worked out." Miles understood what Babs said.

"Anyway, let's get back to reading," she said. They continue to read more about Batman. His current partner is named Robin, also named Dick Grayson. Babs did not like him and went into a pouty mood. "Babs, you alright?" Miles asks. She tells him about Robin. He was a terrible partner from her point of view. "When I was a little girl, I went out alone to find Batman and join him," Babs said. "Robin showed up, however, and he was not a nice kid. He was a jerk. He was mean to me, he was selfish, and he even told me I could never be Batman's sidekick." Babs looks disappointed and upset. "From that day, I worked my hardest to become better than Robin," Babs continued. "I never want to get told that I can't be someone's partner. That's why I keep training my hardest to get him to notice me." She almost looked like she wanted to cry.

Miles tries to comfort her. "Don't say sidekick, just say partner," he said. She looks up at him. "What I'm trying to say is that you'd make a better partner than this Robin-dude," Miles continues. "You put a lot of work into getting Batman to partner with you. You deserve to be his partner permanently." Babs gave a soft smile and started to feel better about herself. She puts down the comic book and wraps her arms around Miles. "Miles, thank you," she said. Tears are coming out of her eyes. She felt happy. She looks at him. "Hey Miles, before we continue reading, can I ask you something?" Babs asks. Miles replies, "Of course." She asks him if he knows what the original Spider-Man was like. The one from his universe. "I know your origin already, but I would like to know about the original Spider-Man," Babs said. "Could you tell me

what he was like?"

Miles thought hard about this and agreed to tell her everything about the original Spider-Man. "So here's how it goes," Miles said. He starts with Peter not having any parents, and living with his Aunt May and Uncle Ben. He goes into Peter attending High School. "One day, Peter attended a science exhibition where he was bitten by a radioactive spider," Miles said. "This event granted him incredible spider-like abilities, including superhuman strength, agility, the ability to cling to walls, and a 'spider-sense' that warned him of danger. Initially, Peter used his newfound powers for personal gain, participating in a wrestling match and earning money. However, he failed to stop a thief who later killed his Uncle Ben during a home invasion. Consumed by guilt, Peter realized that 'with great power comes great responsibility,' and he dedicated himself to fighting crime as the superhero Spider-Man. Peter designed his iconic red and blue costume, built web-shooters, and adopted the alias Spider-Man to protect the citizens of New York City. Over time, he faced various villains, including the Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, and the Sandman, while balancing his dual life as a student and a crimefighter." Babs was amazed by Miles's story about Spider-Man. "It almost sounds like Spider-Man and Batman would get along great," Babs said. Miles agreed to this.

At that moment, Babs was glad to have Miles as a friend. She hasn't felt this way around anyone. "Miles, can I get a selfie with you?" He allows her to. She asks him to hold on to the comic they're reading with one hand. She's holding one end of her phone while he's holding the other. "Can you take the pic?" Babs asks. He clicks on the camera button. The photo came out great. Babs sends it to Miles and then sends it to her friends. As she gets the comic book back from Miles, Miles says, "Hey, Babs, if your friend Harleen is busy on a day of reading comics and you have no one else to go with, I'd be happy to join you." Babs starts to smile after what Miles says, and her cheeks also become red. "Thanks, Miles," she said. "Shall we continue reading on with Batman?" Miles nods yes. She moves next to him and puts her head on his shoulder. She opens up the comic book. Miles is holding one end while she's holding the other. They continue reading.

Transitions to them still at the comic book store

Scene 16

Babs and Miles have been reading the Batman comic for almost 45 minutes. Miles gets a notification on his phone. It's a text from Hal. He said, "Hey bud, I'm looking forward to our one-on-one basketball game today. Hope you're ready to lose." He softly chuckles and realizes the time is 4:45. "Oh boy," Miles says.

Babs asks, "What's wrong, Miles? Was it something in the comic?" Miles tells her that the time is almost 5 p.m. and he has to meet Hal at the basketball courts. "We've been in here since 4," Babs said. "I didn't realize what time it was. Here, let me help you get over there." Miles asks if she has any super speed powers of any kind because he wouldn't want to do that again. She laughs at this. "No, Miles," Babs said in laughter. "I'm nothing like Barry, but I do have a vehicle that can help. Come on." She puts the comic back and then walks outside with Miles.

Outside the mall, we see a motorbike. This belongs to Babs. She gets on and starts it up. The engine begins to start. "Hop on, Miles," she said. Miles gets on the motorbike and they head over to the courts. They go through cars and trucks to get to the courts. Once they arrived, Miles thanked Babs for the ride. "It's no problem, Miles," she said. "I hope you beat Hal in your game today." Miles chuckles and thanks her for the good luck.

Miles walks over to the courts to find Hal, while Babs gets a text from Karen saying, "I need a ride to my destination. Could you give me one?" Babs responds, "Sure. I'll be on my way." Babs rides off to pick up Karen.

Back at the courts, Miles was looking for Hal. "I've been waiting on ya, bud," Hal said. Miles couldn't see where he was. Hal then steps out of the shadows with a basketball in his hand. "I see you're ready, bud," Miles said. "Have you been practicing all day?" Hal chuckles. "Nah, just recently I have," Hal said. "You ready though? I was hoping to see you more in a basketball jersey or a T-shirt." That's when Hal gives Miles a shirt for their match. Miles puts it on and gets ready. They take a photo together of them about to play. Hal sends it to Miles and then to his friends. Then they head over to their side of the court. "Alright, rules are simple," Hal said. "No use of powers, no traveling, you know the basics. Let's just have some fun." Miles agreed. Hal throws the ball up into the air.

Cut to Black