five

TW: In this chapter we talk about Aurora's past and things she's been through, which includes domestic violence and sexual violence. I'm not trying to make light of these things or romanticize them in any way. This story is loosely based on my own life, and I have actually been through these things myself, so writing about it is kind of an outlet for me to let my feelings out. So please keep that in mind if you leave a comment. So, if you're sensitive to these topics, feel free to click out. Stay safe and let's be there for each other in the comments <3

After the movie finished, Aurora had fallen asleep in Tom's arms. He smiled to himself as he ran his fingers through her hair. He thought she was gorgeous as ever, even when she slept. Tom sat there for a while, just enjoying getting to be close to her and touch her. But, he didn't want to overstay his welcome, so he decided to put a blanket over Aurora and go home.

When Aurora awoke the next morning to her dog making commotion, she was alone. She was glad Tom hadn't spent the night. She felt herself starting to lower her guard a bit, which made her feel depressed and scared. She couldn't, not again. With a shaky breath, she got up from the couch and took her dog on a walk and ended up taking her dog to Rachel's.

"Thanks, just for a few nights" she mumbled as she walked out of Rachel's apartment.

"You sure you're okay?" Rachel asked, concerned.

Aurora just nodded, giving a fake smile before closing the door after herself. She was so good at this, so used to this. All she had to do was put on a smile and people would think she'd moved on. That's what they all wanted her to do. "Just move on." As if it were that easy. To forget their hands on her, how afraid she was. 

Aurora slumped down on her bed, closing the blinds. The dark felt comforting. But, she couldn't help the memories coming flooding in, trapping her in her mind. The way his ex-boyfriend's hand rose and struck her, as she begged for him to just stay calm. The way she would always stay, because he said he would kill her if she ever left. 

And the way when she finally got out of the relationship and started to trust someone, that "friend" took advantage of her in her inebriated state. He was supposed to take care of her, let her pass out. But, she could still remember waking up to him, touching her. The way she asked him to stop, but he didn't. And the way he laid next to her after, as she felt she couldn't move because of how afraid she was.

Aurora felt all these things at once, they always all hit at once. She held her head, crying. Remembering hurt. But it also reminded her of why she was better off alone. If you don't trust anyone, no one can break your trust. She felt the darkness pull her in, into a depressive state that would normally last for weeks.

In her mind, she was hoping this time she wouldn't make it out.

Tom was visiting Rachel because they had a day off. He wanted to talk to her about Aurora. But, he was confused when he saw Aurora's dog at Rachel's.

"Why's she here?" he asked, getting on his knees to pet the dog, who showed her appreciation by licking his face a few times.

"Aurora brought her over. She sometimes does that" Rachel smiled, but Tom knew her, and knew she was worried about something, behind that smile was worry.

"What's wrong?" he asked, getting up from the floor and sitting down on the couch.

"Can't really tell you anything other than that I'm worried about Aurora" she said, petting the dog, Lily, as she jumped on the couch.

"Oh, well... If there's anything I can do..." Tom trailed off.

"I'll let you know" Rachel smiled.

Tom was now worried himself, even though he didn't even know what was actually wrong. He just knew everything wasn't alright with Aurora. He had realised he didn't even have her number, so he asked Rachel for it. Rachel promised she would text Aurora and ask if it was okay. After that, Tom changed subjects because Rachel was getting increasingly antsy. They ended up watching a movie, just saying a few words to each other here and there. But, they enjoyed the time they spent together. Tom was glad he had Rachel.

The next 5 days went by slow. Tom was waiting on a response on whether or not he could get Aurora's phone number. But, Rachel said she hadn't replied. For 5 days. And, Tom hadn't wanted to just show up to Aurora's apartment like last time. He didn't want to make it a habit.

So, when Tom and Rachel were finishing up an interview, Rachel sighed and looked at him.

"She hasn't even picked up my calls. I think I'll just go to her house. I have her spare key" she said.

"Could I come with?" Tom asked, still not sure what was going on.

"I guess a little help couldn't hurt" Rachel smiled.