thirty-six

Aurora groaned as she felt herself being picked up and carried. She slowly opened her eyes and gazed up, seeing Tom carrying her to his apartment.

"I can walk" she stated, putting her hand on Tom's chest to get him off her.

"I know" Tom stated, his grip not budging until they were inside, laying her down on his bed. Aurora laid there in silence as Tom removed his shoes and jacket, thinking of everything she'd said to Tom today. She knew it had been mean, but she was so sure he would regret marrying her. She was too much of a burden on him.

"Why'd you come looking for me?" Aurora suddenly spoke out, making Tom stop his movements and sit down on the bed next to her as he sighed.

"I will always come looking for you, baby" he spoke out, his hand going into her hair, massaging her scalp, keeping her calm.

"Tommy. I just don't think this, us... Is a good idea" she spoke out, tears forming in her eyes.

"Why's that?" he gently spoke out, his hands staying in her hair. He knew this conversation would cause her anxiety and he wanted to help her in any way he could.

"You'll regret marrying me" she spoke out, a sob escaping her lips as she let all her feelings hit her. The feeling of never being enough, of letting people use her, of being hit, so many fucking times she lost count. It all hit her, and she didn't think she deserved a love like Tom's.

Tom frowned as Aurora's words hit him. His hands stopped as he laid down next to her, pulling her tightly to his chest.

"That's not true, Aurora" he spoke out, his arms holding her in a tight but loving grip. She said nothing as tears escaped her eyes, leaving her gasping for air.

"I'll never be good enough" she mumbled out between sobs.

"Baby, I could live a thousand life times, and I'd still only want you" Tom spoke out, resting his chin on top of Aurora's head. She tried to frantically dry her tears, cursing herself for getting so emotional.

"Tommy, I can't do it" she sobbed out, letting the panic engulf her body.

"You can. You can do it, baby. Just, let me in, okay? Please" he gently spoke out, running his fingers up and down her arm soothingly.

"I can't, Tommy" she spoke out between sobs. "You'll get tired of me. And you'll end up leaving me and I won't survive that" she cried out.

"I will never get tired of you, Aurora. You can try to push me away as many times as you want, but I'll always be here. To help you, to pick up the pieces when you come crashing down, to find you when you run away" he spoke out, meaning every single word he was saying to her.

"You should be with someone less... Me. Less broken" Aurora spoke out, her sobs finally dying down.

"Aurora. I choose to be with you, the way you are. I'm not gonna let you leave me" Tom spoke out, his fingers gently drying her tears. She said nothing as he dried her tears. She just let him hold her, she let him pick up the pieces.

"Tommy?" she whimpered out.

"Hmm?" Tom hummed, closing his eyes as he kissed her forehead.

"I'll always be in love with you. No matter what happens" she said. And she meant it.

"Stop talking like that" he spoke out gently, looking into her eyes.

"Like what?" she quietly asked.

"Like you're not going to be here one day" he spoke out, tucking a few strands of her hair behind her ear.

"I'm sorry" she mumbled, tucking her head into Tom's chest.

"It's fine, baby. But you're insane if you think I'm going to let you go" he softly spoke, making Aurora shudder.

"You will" she tried, fighting his words.

"What can I do? To prove you wrong?" he asks, still holding onto her as if she'd disappear if he let go.

"I don't know" she mumbled back, enjoying being in his arms.

"Aurora?" he spoke out, making her lift her gaze to his eyes.

"Hmm?" she hummed.

"Did you mean it when you said you don't want to marry me?" he asked, his eyes watering slightly.

"Tommy, I..." she started, thinking she'd do him a favor if she lied and said yes. He'd let her go, and he'd be free of her. But, she couldn't bring herself to lie to him.

"No" she stated, her eyes not leaving his.

"Then you're stuck with me" he stated, pulling her in for a kiss. He kissed her, pouring every single one of his emotions into it, his hands going to her jaw.

"I'm so fucking in love with you" he panted as they pulled apart.

"I'm in love with you, even more than you can imagine" Aurora confessed, pulling Tom into her arms for a change, hoping it'd fix how much she'd hurt him tonight. She held onto him, tighter than ever before.

"Let's just be here. And sleep, we'll talk in the morning" Tom suggested as he saw Aurora yawning.

"Okay, Tommy" she mumbled, her eyes already closing and her grip tightening around Tom.

Despite everything, Tom fell asleep with a smile on his face. He was still marrying the love of his life. It wouldn't be easy, but it'd be with her, so it would be perfect.