17

Mateo's P.OV:

Throughout my life I've contemplated murdering my Father. In an ordinary situation, I would go to jail- if caught, but in my case I'd have his empire handed over to me. Obviously I've never went through with it, I almost did once but the idea of being a mafia boss at 15 didn't sound very appealing either. Within the past 3 years his security has doubled, if not tripled. If I guess correctly, I'm assuming it's to do with his affiliation with the Russians-which I have not forgotten about, I'm just putting that dilemma on hold right now.

Now, the thought of taking down my Father's empire? absolutely crazy, even for me. Right now I need to focus on this "mission" which I'll admit, I haven't paid much attention to lately. The industry I'm in doesn't exactly have a very dandy atmosphere nor has it been forgiving to anyone, but when I found out what he had done to Athena, I finally realised how psycho Stefano is. Had she been some sort of traitor or tyrant then maybe I would have understood but not even Ray found anything about her past, that was eligble for "treason" against my Father.

What he did find about her, was a history of going through different homes, and multiple kidnappings. The last record he found about her was from around 10 years ago about a disappearance and kidnapping. The article was from Louisiana, she was sold to Stefano in New York. When I did a further investigation into her past, I discovered that the people who had sold her to Stefano were murdered recently under suspicious circumstances.

Being here was probably the safest place she's ever been and now she's gone again. My Father is a sadistic man and when he told me I'd see her again, I did not like the idea of what he had planned.

"Well?" Marco snaps me out of my daydream, "What exactly do you have planned for this fucking mission because Dad clearly doesn't give a shit about his bloodline at all and I don't think he'll hesistate to have us murdered", Marco's eyes are wide as he rambles on.

"Just calm down for a second" I hold out my arms as if I'm trying to calm a startled horse.

"Don't tell me to fucking calm down" He bites, "You couldn't of left her alone could you? It's your fault we're all in this mess and it's your fault that Ray is dead!" He shoves his index finger at me.

I stare blankly at him as I watch tears burn in his eyes. I don't know why he still tries to guilt me into feeling something, because I can't. Not since Stefano killed our Mother in front of our eyes. Since then I've been unable to feel any sympathy for the deceased, it just feels unnatural.

"You can pick and pry and cry to me all you want but it won't help" I hold his gaze.

"The same way you're not helping any of us with this mission" He straightens up, "Just because you don't value your life doesn't mean that there isn't people who value yours" Marco scans my face for a few more seconds, only to mutter "unbelievable" and leave my office.

I watch as his body retreats and I stare at the door that he slams behind him for longer than I should have. The relationship I have with my brother is....complex, but we'd sacrifice ourselves for each other in a heartbeat because we know we're all each other has.

Sighing, I give in and decide to stop being a prick and open up my laptop to begin working on this God forsaken mission.

------------------------------------------------------

3:22am

The slight creak of a door opening wakes me up instantly as I jolt upright in my chair. Regaining consciousness I realise I've fallen asleep in my office due to the rabbit hole I went in trying to set up the plan for this raid. Putting on my glasses to adjust my eyes, I still squint at the figure in the doorway.