21

Athena's P.O.V

The subtle beep of a monitor greets me like an old friend. Cold woolen sheets on a hospital bed contrast the intricate gold and cream walls of this room. Sitting up slowly, I adjust my eyes to the warm light reflecting off of the chandelier above me. There are no clocks or windows in the room so I can't tell what the time is but guessing by the way it's extremely quite, it's probably midnight.

Lifting up my gown, I take notice of the bandages extending from my waist to my abdomen. Bruises peak out from underneath and I don't even bother to check what my legs look like. The bedside table next to me holds a clipboard with a list pinned to it. Reaching over to it, carefully trying not to rip any stitches, I notice the statistics written on it.

On the top is my name "Athena Rodriguez", I raise my brows at the unfamiliarity of the name and continue reading what it says. 

Sex: Female

Blood Type: O

Height: n/a

Weight: n/a

My eyes land on the bottom of the page where the words "Injuries and Illnesses Sustained" catches my eye. But before I can read on, the door opens revealing a greying man with a tired and sympathetic eyes. I put down the list and straighten myself up, he walks over to the end of my bed and intertwines his hands with each other.

"Athena" He starts and I bite my cheek, "I don't know how to begin but, welcome home" He smiles softly.

I turn my head to the side slightly, "If this is another sadistic mafia trick than consider me not fooled" 

He laughs softly but there's a hint of sadness in his tone, "From the time Dario found you, you've been out for 3 days but during that time we were able to discover who you are and what injuries you've sustained" He pauses.

"Go on" I narrow my eyes.

"I'll allow the doctor to explain to you all the medical stuff, but I'd like to give a little background." He licks his lips, "My name is Alejandro Rodriguez" My eyes widen at the name, "The man who saved you is Dario Rodriguez, my son and your brother" He lets out a huff of air. 

My mouth hangs open, "So that means" I trail off. Running a hand through my hair and tucking hair behind my ears, I shake my head and rub my eyes. "No, there's no way I can be related to you in any way. I mean, I was a foster child but my Mother left me in one of those orphanage baby drop off stations, there's video evidence of it" I laugh nervously.

Alejandro walks over to my side and sits on the armchair beside me, "I know you've experienced a life full of lies and deceit, but you're safe now" He places a hand on my arm, "You were stolen from us when you were only a few months old, what happened after that is beyond me but Dario was able to find out about your past" His voice quitens, "I may no longer be the Don, but I can promise you that Nicholas will do everything he can to keep you protected from anyone who wants to bring you harm, especially the Italians" His fist clenches.

I shake my head, "How can I trust that you're telling the truth?" 

His eyes soften, "We have the same eyes Querida" a smile tugs at his lips, "Also I got the doc to take a blood test just in case Dario was lying, and everything matches up"

Sighing I reply, "Okay, can I just have a minute?" I ask and he nods, leaving the room hesitantly. 

I watch as the door closes and allow myself to let the panic settle in. Within a matter of months I've went from lying cold on the floor of a meth house to whatever the fuck you can describe this situation to be. My head spins and my heart hammers through my chest. The light the chandelier emits is suddenly too bright, shrinking down into my bed, I pull the cover up to my face and sink into the pillow.