24

Athena's P.O.V

"I don't know, it's like I look at you and suddenly the sonnets make sense. The good ones, anyway."  I read, the words resonating heavily with me for a few heartbeats before I continue on.

"Whatcha got there?" Tanya asks, emerging from the stall wearing an elegant white wedding dress. My jaw drops and I forget the question altogether, I'll never understand how my brother bagged this queen.

"I know I said the last dress was made for you, but this one is like made-made for you", I stand up from my chair and make my way over to where she is standing on the stand. Holding her hand, I give her a spin and watch the way the lace intertwines with the silk, sculpting her figure and fanning her out from the waist down. 

A soft giggle escapes her, "You've said that like every time I come out of that stall." She tilts her head slightly and smiles weakly, causing me to roll my eyes.

"If I'm having a hard time decide, I can't imagine how you're feeling", I laugh and a slightly guilty expression takes over her face. Squinting at her, I help her down from the stand and wait for her to talk.

She bites her lip, "Promise you won't hate me okay?", Tanya squeezes her fists and shrugs slightly. I sit down slowly and she does the same, keeping a steady focus on her I give her the option to go on. "I've already chosen my dress, I mean the wedding is like next month and I know, don't look at me like that, it's just that I really wanted to spend time with you. I know Nick might not be putting much effort into rekindling a relationship with you, but I'm an only child and you're going to be the closest thing to a sister I have so I just want to find oppurtunities to spend time with you", Tanya rambles on and my confusion turns to sympathy.

I shake my head, "Tanya, you know I don't, can't go anywhere. Any oppurtunity to spend time with you won't be turned down because you probably know more than anyone how much I want to get out of that mansion, as luxurious as it is" 

She smiles, still guilty, "Okay so please still don't hate me but I was like talking to your Dad and the topic of you came up and we got to talking and turns out there's like this guy who's Dad is like really close with Alejandro and he wants you to meet him because he thinks that this guy is good for you. So, me thinking I was doing the good thing thought that maybe I could help set you two up" She finally finishes her tangent, "But now that I see your expression I realise how dumb it was to assume anything but like just give it a chance". Okay she wasn't finished.

I narrow my eyes, "Why would you want to help if we were going to be introduced to each other anyways?", her eyes go wide and I remember how ditzy she really is (but don't tell her I said that). Biting her lip like a child caught in a lie, contemplation is obvious on her face and I repeat the question so that she gives in.

"It's an arranged marriage okay, but like since those are like illegal he has to get consent. Alejandro was basically using me to set you two up because I only see the good in things but I'm realising now that this date is so that you guys like each other and consent to the arrangement."

"Motherfucker!" I curse which earns a handful of gasps from the women in the boutique.

"Please don't hate me for this, I'm sorry, I really am I just" She sighs, "You look like there's something missing from you and so I thought this was a good way to help lighten the mood, I'm really sorry Athie", I stare at her for longer than intended and shake my head at her vulnerability.

"You apologise too much, you know that right?" I say a little too harshly and sigh when she flinches. Rubbing my forehead I continue on, "Sorry that was a bit mean, it's just that I understand why you apologise, I don't know if we've achieved the stage where we can talk about the why but for now I understand the what"