|ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 49|

|49|

The sky was dark in the Kou Empire. Clouds blocked the Sun, preventing light from breaking through and fanning over the land. It was about to rain, probably a storm. People could tell as they hustled to bring any valuables inside. The streets were filled with people running to their homes as the weather had been wonderful a mere few moments ago. The change was so sudden, it was almost impossible to believe it could have happened naturally.

Some civilians raised their heads, gasping in astonishment at what was overhead. A few pointed their fingers, prompting others to also glance. A carpet soured over them and sitting atop it was their own High Priest. However, no one made an effort to call out and welcome the young man because even though they lived in Kou, he could still be quite cruel to the public. And even if someone was tempted to, one look at his face was enough to tell them not to.

Someone was likely about to die.

All the magicians at the palace knew Judar was coming long before he arrived. They could hear his rukh miles away, the dark butterflies practically screaming from across the country. However, it wasn't the sound that made them aware of his rage. No, dark rukh are often loud. But they are rarely as frantic as they are now, working to contain the anger the man held. Or possibly reinforcing it by whispering into his ears and encouraging him to act on his feelings and hurt those who hurt him.

The garden was empty, all the maids had gone inside to attend to other things. The magic carpet made its descent to the ground and allowed the magi to step off and onto the freshly trimmed grass. His movements held no hesitation as he set off into the palace, the magical cloth going somewhere on its own without him. The sound of raindrops started behind him as he reached the shelter of the palace.

The workers within the palace were quick to move out of the magi's way as he walked through. They didn't even have to look at his face to tell he was pissed. His body language was enough. Judar was usually lax and lazy, he walked like he didn't care about a thing in the world, but with enough confidence to show he knew how powerful he was. Now he was walking with a purpose.

Thunder rang from outside, startling a few people within the palace. Judar couldn't care less though, nothing being able to distract him from what he needed to do. As he rounded a corner in the palace he was met with the sight of the doors to the throne room. Four members of the organization waited outside, probably expecting his presence. He didn't spare them a word though, only giving them a sharp glare that was enough to make them move out of his way.

The doors slammed open, the noise loud enough to echo throughout the chamber. Sat on the throne was the Empress herself, the usual smile on her face as Judar walked into the room. The priests by her sides didn't move, their bodies already facing forward. She was expecting him, they had all been expecting him.

"Welcome back Judar, how was your trip?" He scowled at her, stopping right in front of the steps that led up to her throne. How dare she ask a stupid ass question like that when she knew exactly why he was pissed. The door slammed shut behind him, sparing most of the palace from what was about to occur.

"Don't fuck with me hag! You knew this entire time didn't you?" He was seething at her and the way her grin seemed to grow just the slightest only pissed him off more. He was fully aware that Gyokuen knew what the late Queen of Serpantina looked like. She was there when her chained body was brought to the empire, she was the one who inflicted months of torture upon the woman, and she stood there as she was beheaded before the people of Kou.