|ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 13|

|13|

You never truly noticed how many people worked in the palace until the only thing you had left to do was wander and count them. Maids and servants hurriedly walked among the halls going from room to room performing daily duties. There was little talking and anyone who dared to speak did it in a whisper, obviously trying to be quiet. Normally the palace would be even busier, but for some reason, all the members of the royal family had been called into a meeting. Even Judar was called into it, and he actually decided to attend. That alone told you it was probably something important.

Although Judar still referred to you as "slave" you obviously weren't seen in such a rank by many. Maids quickly moved as to not be in your way, and some even bowed when you walked past. In your old residence, it wasn't uncommon for a maid to scold you or even hit you if you were in the way. But not here. Here you weren't an object, a walking tool, a weapon. You were somebody above them. You couldn't determine yet if you liked that or not.

You somehow found yourself standing outside the kitchen doors. You were simply wandering aimlessly and you didn't necessarily feel hungry so you didn't really understand how you got here. Glancing around, you noticed how there was no one nearby and figured it wouldn't hurt to get a quick snack. Besides, what would anyone do? Tell on you? It was never that serious.

You opened one of the double doors and instantly you understood why you had gone to the kitchen. As soon as the door opened your sense of smell was overwhelmed with the scent of fresh-baked goods. You peeked into the kitchen, glancing around at anyone who was in the area. There was only one person whose back was currently turned towards you. Said person stood in front of the counter and as if sensing someone opening the door, they turned to look at you. You had enough knowledge to know that based on the hat they were wearing, this older man was the head chef in the kitchen. He was all alone though.

It was impossible to avoid being seen now. However, you stayed in your spot and looked at the man baking. He gave you a warm smile, the wrinkled very apparent on his face making him look even older. You gave a small hesitant one back, almost sure he would've kicked you out.

"Do not be shy. Come in!"

The only other option now would be to ignore him and you weren't that rude. So instead you fully opened the door and walked over to the old chef, looking a what he was doing. A few pastries were on a pan, and a bowl of dough was next to it. You looked over the pastries and then at the old man who was busy making some sort of filling.

"I'm making these for the royal family and High Priest. Feel free to try one." You weren't a member of the royal family but you sure as hell were being treated like one. However, you weren't about to pass on such an offer. The scent of the treats was encouraging enough for you to grab one and take a bite. You could almost cry at the savory taste, the sweet filling was delicious and everything about the treat was amazing. It was easy to understand why this man was the head chef.

"You like it? Take some more, these are all my test samples anyway." You gladly grabbed three more off the tray and held them close to your body. The chef gave you one more smile as you grabbed another one, stuffing it into your mouth. You could only give a cheeky smile with a mouth full of dessert. You spoke with a full mouth, small crumbs falling out.

"Thank you!" You were barely sure that the words sounded like actual words and not just a mumble. The chef only nodded at you and you didn't want to stick around and feel like a bother so you turned and left out the door you came through. You almost ran into a female cook who was walking in and you both excused yourself before you started on your way back to your room.