|ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 24|

|24|

You didn't even bother knocking as you burst through the doors of Sinbad's office. You probably should have considering you could have walking in on him doing something weird but you were too frantic to think straight. The large doors shut behind you on their own and you marched up to his desk. He was sitting at it, almost as if he was waiting for you. You slammed the scroll on the desk before placing your hands on your hips.

"You sent me this. Why?" He didn't answer you at first, only glancing down at the scroll you brought. It was obviously him, he signed his name at the bottom. He grabbed the scroll from across the desk and unrolled it. He then turned it the paper around so you could read it but there was no need. You already knew what it said.

"So you can read this?" You held a blank expression on your face, clearly not amused with whatever he was playing at. It was obvious you could read it, if you couldn't you wouldn't in from of him right now.

"Yes, I can read that. I wouldn't be here if I couldn't. What is this supposed to mean exactly?" Sinbad let out a chuckle but you weren't finding the situation nearly as funny. He was wasting your time. You could be in bed right now if whatever he had to say wasn't important, and if it was he was only stalling. He suddenly stood from his seat and began to walk in a random direction. You only glared at him until he made a gesture for you to follow. So you did.

"I've met many enslaved Serpantines before but only a few were at an advanced reading level. And they were usually older or from high-class families. I'm guessing you're from a high-class family." You eyed him suspiciously before lowly nodding your head. High-class could mean a variety of things. You weren't exactly giving yourself away.

"I started my education before the invasion. After I was taken a man enslaved with me continued to teach me." You heard Sinbad hum as he stopped in front of a shelf with something covered above it. He didn't respond to you immediately and you watched him reach for a scroll that was on the shelf.

"I see, but the moment I saw you there was something that stood out to me, something I recognized but couldn't remember why." Your eyes shifted to the scroll in his hand. He hadn't made a move to open it and you were beginning to grow curious. With your eyes still trained on the paper, you spoke again.

"Hmm, that's strange. What was it exactly?" Sinbad looked down at the ground, a small laugh leaving his lips. You didn't know why, but it put you at slight ease. It was almost as if you recognized it somehow but you were sure this was your first time having an actual conversation with King Sinbad. You looked ahead at the cloth that was covering something hanging on the wall and narrowed your eyes. 'What's he hiding there?'

"I don't know. It was a feeling of familiarity. Almost as if I had seen you before. I recognized your name as well." Now, this was really questionable. You turned to him while raising an eyebrow, slightly confused by what he meant. 'Maybe he's seen me before without me noticing him. Like a gladiator event. Or maybe he's confusing me for someone else.'

"Well, a lot of us do have similar traits. You probably saw another Serpantine that looked like me." Sinbad quickly shook his head at your words and you frowned at his actions. You didn't know what he was trying to tell you. Sinbad looked extremely concentrated as if he was thinking hard about something.

"You're probably too young to remember but your people resemble those around them most. Your guards would tend to have similar looks while the common folk also looked more like each other. I've never seen an enslaved Serpantine that looked like you. I remembered you from somewhere else. Or I thought I remembered you. In reality, you reminded me of someone I had met twelve years ago when I traveled to your country. I couldn't put the pieces together though until I came back here and took a look at a familiar painting." You were about to respond but he acted before you could.