24: KISS IN THE MIDST OF DANGER

Chaeyoung observed Mina as she drank water, captivated by the grace of her flawless skin and the subtle movement of her throat. Her gaze lingered on Mina's collarbones.

"What?" Mina inquired, raising an eyebrow.

"Nothing," Chaeyoung deflected, looking away, and subtly shifted so Mina could follow her.

As they walked back to the ship, Chaeyoung's attention was drawn to a jewelry shop. Images of Mina's collarbones flashed in her mind, prompting Chaeyoung to ask Mina to wait. Intrigued, she entered the store, intent on acquiring a meaningful necklace for Mina.

As Mina waited, absorbing the lively scene around her-kids playing, hawkers advertising their wares, and the general bustle of the city-a sudden shift in the atmosphere caught her attention. Three guards bearing the symbol of her kingdom approached.

Feeling a surge of hope, Mina's dried lips attempted a smile, but her joy was short-lived. Two of the guards held wanted posters, and as a child ran by with one, Mina saw Chaeyoung's face on the wanted poster.

Simultaneously, Chaeyoung emerged from the jewelry store. Caught between Chaeyoung to her right and the approaching guards in front, Mina felt torn. Instinct urged her to flee, but her heart resisted the thought of Chaeyoung facing dire consequences.

Images of Chaeyoung being whipped by an urumi flashed in Mina's mind. The guards closed in, and as a protective impulse overcame her, Mina seized Chaeyoung's wrist, pulling her behind a nearby cart, desperate to shield her from the impending danger.

"Mina, what are you doing?" Chaeyoung questioned, attempting to free her hand from Mina's grip.

"Just shut up!" Mina insisted, silencing Chaeyoung by placing a finger on her lips. Chaeyoung gulped, captivated by the intensity in Mina's eyes. As the guards approached, Mina discreetly peeked around the cart, ensuring they remained unnoticed.

"What are you looking at?" Chaeyoung attempted to sneak a peek. In response, Mina swiftly grabbed Chaeyoung's head and initiated a sudden kiss. Stunned, Chaeyoung found herself momentarily immobilized as Mina took charge, guiding Chaeyoung's hand to wrap around her waist, the impromptu kiss serving as a diversion from the guards approaching.

The three guards walked past, and one of them, catching a glimpse, hastily turned away in embarrassment. Sensing a temporary reprieve, Chaeyoung attempted to break free, but Mina held her close.

As the guards distanced themselves, Mina finally released the embrace and broke the kiss. Staring into Chaeyoung's eyes, the intensity of the moment lingered, a silent acknowledgment of the unspoken connection forged in the face of unexpected danger.

Yn, who had been discreetly observing the scene from a distance, witnessed the entire encounter. A surge of rage coursed through her veins. The feeling of betrayal cut deep, as she grappled with the realization that her best friend had become entangled in unforeseen circumstances.