27: BETRAYAL'S ECHO

Chaeyoung, bearing the weight of Mina, followed Yn's lead, oblivious to the subtle presence of a woman trailing them like a shadow. Upon reaching a secure location, Chaeyoung gently laid Mina on a comfortable surface, the air thick with the uncertainty of their clandestine journey.

"Chaeyoung," Yn called, her gaze fixed elsewhere.

"Yes?" Chaeyoung responded, attention focused on Mina.

"Do you know why I'm doing this?" Yn inquired, the weight of her words hanging in the air.

"I do," Chaeyoung replied, her eyes lingering on Mina.

"Do you know every night I dream of her... And I wish I could do that so I can at least meet her in my dreams, but then I realized nights aren't that long enough," Yn shared, carrying a profound sorrow in her voice.

Chaeyoung remained silent, absorbing Yn's words.

"You know what, I thought you would be there for me!" Yn turned around to face Chaeyoung.

Mina, feigning sleep, listened to the exchange between Chaeyoung and Yn.

"I am always there for you," Chaeyoung asserted.

"Well, I'm not seeing it," Yn retorted, a hint of tears in her eyes.

"Are you kidding? I'm your best friend!" Chaeyoung expressed, concern evident in her words. The emotions in the quiet night unfolded, leaving a complex tapestry of friendship and unspoken sentiments.

Yn approached Chaeyoung, enveloping her in a tight hug as if savoring a final moment. "Apologies, best friend," Yn whispered, and in a cruel twist, she thrust a knife into Chaeyoung's abdomen.

Blood spilled from Chaeyoung's wounded body, her shock evident in the stark silence that followed this unexpected betrayal.

"Yn..., arh," Chaeyoung struggled to pull away from the hug, but Yn held her tight.

"Why?" Chaeyoung managed to ask, her ability to speak slowly fading.

Yn remained silent. Darkness enveloped Chaeyoung's vision, her legs giving way beneath her. Yn released her grip, and Chaeyoung crumpled to the ground.

Yn turned to find Mina awake, sitting in disbelief as tears cascaded down her cheeks. Mina attempted to scream Chaeyoung's name, but the numbness stifled her voice.

"Hahaha! I knew it!!" Yn laughed sadistically. "I knew she wouldn't let you drink that! Bloody bastard!" Yn kicked Chaeyoung.

Grabbing Mina, Yn forcefully compelled her to follow.

"Chaeyoungie!!!" Mina called out desperately as she was dragged away.

Once they vanished from sight, the hidden observer emerged from the shadows. Checking Chaeyoung's pulse, she stood there, a sense of pity emanating from her.