31 | back soon

Saturday 2nd December 2023
5:23 pm

Mattheo's POV

"Jack?" Jaya says suddenly, and I watch as she stands up from her seat, her eyes locked on something behind the counter, as she slowly pushes past me and takes steps towards it, stumbling on her way

I follow her instantly, walking with her but she pushes me away with her hand. "Let me go." She says, suddenly sounding angry.

All I feel is utter confusion as I watch her walk away from me. I have the urge to run and chase after her, but when I take a step forward, the waitress who served our drinks - who kept looking at me a little too often - stops me in my tracks, appearing in front of me out of no where.

I try to peer behind her to see where Jaya went, but she's no where to be seen. "Excuse me." I say to the woman but her mouth twists into a cheesy grin and I prevent myself from pulling a face of utter disgust.

"Would you like another butter bear handsome?" She asks and my patience begins to grow thin.

"No. Move."

"No customers are allowed behind the till I'm afraid." She responds, tilting her head and looking up at me, her voice sounding almost robotic.

"Well my-" I pause for a moment. "My friend just disappeared back there so I think I should go and have a look." I say, and attempt to push past her again but she refuses to budge.

"Is there a problem here?" A large man with a full overgrown beard approaches us, the ground seeming to tremble with every step he took. I felt like I could smell his breath from a mile away.

I sigh and roll my eyes, before looking up at him, that's when I notice a wand in his hand. "Not at all." I respond through gritted teeth and turn back around to the boys, who are all stood up alarmed.

"What just happened?" Blaise asks worriedly.

"Jaya's gone." I tell them. "She disappeared through that back door I think but they won't let me through."

"She didn't look right." Nott adds. "She looked ill."

"Yeah, something was up with her." Malfoy agrees.

"I think we can make our way in through the back. Maybe she's there." I tell them and they nod, all of us making our way out of the pub that reeks of beer, and walk across the crunchy snow.

As we're turning the corner to head round to the back of the store, we suddenly bump into Parkinson and Greengrass.

"Where've you two been?" Enzo asks.