32 | riches and wrongdoings

Saturday 2nd December 2023

5:33 pm

"We have a lot to talk about, don't we?"

My heart pounds harder than it ever has before, my body heats up and my eyes can't stop flickering between the faces of my parents, both of them with a malicious expression... they scare me. You wouldn't think that a child would be scared of both their parents. I surely am, and I always have been.

I soon realise that my wrists and ankles are tied together with some sort of spell, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to break free - from both the spell... and my parents. They'll always find a way to get back to me.

"What do you want from me?" Not the most polite choice of words, but the anger fuelled up inside of me is somehow taking over my immense sense of fear.

"Is that how we raised you?" My mother, Marie, scoffs, her vivid posh London accent spilling out alongside her words. She wears a tight, long black dress with a cloak draped over her.

Marie is a lot younger than my father, Reynold. She had me when she was nineteen, and Jack when she was eighteen. My father was in his late thirties at the time so compared to him right now,  she looks young enough to be his daughter.

Mad, right? Mr and Mrs Levine, almost two decades apart. The household name Levine known for its riches and... wrongdoings. Pretty sure everyone has now guessed that my parents are death eaters.

Reynold wears the same cloak too on top of his blacked out suit... the standard uniform for death eaters I assume.

I take a deep breath, and my father inches towards me, towering over me as I keep my head lowered, so that his shoes right in front of me is the only thing in my line of vision. He slowly crouches down to my level, and grips onto my chin, squeezing my face as he lifts my head up to look at him.

"You disgust me." He spits, and releases my face from his grip.

I fight the urge to say the sentence "disown me then", but I know that would only result in a beating, even though the only thing I want right now is for the two of them to get rid of me so I never have to see their faces again.

"How's school?" Marie asks, her red bottom heels tapping against the marbled floor as she approaches us. Confused, I look up at her. "Made any... handsome new friends?" She chuckles.

Mattheo.

I shake my head in response. There's no way I'm giving them the answers they want, even if they know everything already. Word spreads fast.

"Let's get straight to the point then, shall we?" My father stands up with a sigh, and claps his hands, before running them through his slicked back gelled hair. "Our Lord has ordered that you, Jaya, retrieve Mattheo Riddle from Hogwarts, and bring him back to his father."

He ran away from home. I saw it all. There's no chance he'd be willing to go back.

"I have nothing to do with the boy." I tell them, and my parents look at each other with a smirk. There's no way that they'd know Riddle and I are... friends. "I've never spoken to him."

The two of them begin to laugh simultaneously. "Of course you've spoken to him, silly." Marie says. "You have everything to do with him."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask.

"How has your sleep been lately?" Reynold asks me, a wide grin forming on his face and suddenly my breathing rate quickens. I feel a drop of sweat roll down my forehead.