34 | hands of the devil

Saturday 2nd December 2023

7:47 pm

"I'll ask again love." His deep voice laced with a sense of sincerity sends a shiver down my spine. "Who's Rio?"

His lips are practically millimetres away from mine, and my breathing begins to grow heavy as I try to process how close to each other we are right now... as well as the fact that he looks as if he's about to choke me or something.

"Rio... haha." I can't help but be awkward about this as I try to figure out what to say to him.

Do I lie? Do I tell the truth? His father wants him back, and they're making me do it. Voldemort is making me do it. If I tell him this, he'll only put himself in danger...

If I told him, he knows that I would never do that to him, and that would only result in getting me murdered by the Dark Lord for not completing the sole task that I was assigned with.

But... I'd risk my life for him. Right?

There has to be a way around this. There's got to be. I can't deliver the one I lo-

I can't deliver Mattheo straight into the hands of the devil. There's no way. I wouldn't know how to live with myself.

"I honestly have no idea. This is the first I've met him." I shrug in response to his question, trying to sound as believable as possible.

But then I remember.

Shit, he can mind read.

He has me locked in, hands placed on the table either side of my body, as he looks deeply into my eyes. Before he can do any investigating through my mind, I quickly push him off of me and put some distance between us.

He looks at me slightly confused and before I decide what to do in this moment, I'm suddenly saved by Marie who calls out for me as she walks towards the bathroom.

"Shit." I whisper, looking at Mattheo panicked. "You need to leave now, my mother is coming."

He takes a step closer to me, and his gaze darkens. He doesn't even tilt his head down to look at me, but his glare is locked on my face.

I pray that he's not clocking onto my lies.

Within seconds, I hear Marie's hand rattle the door knob and I whip my head around, but as soon as I turn back, he's gone.

How did he disappear?

I decide to find an answer to that question later, and unlock the bathroom door.

"You should talk to Rio for a while before you go to sleep. Make a plan of how you're going to go about it tomorrow." She tells me and I stop myself from groaning out loud.

"Ok." Is all I say, and walk straight past her, and I hope to turn into my room but I feel her eyes burning the back of my head.

"His room is that way." She says in a sing-song voice and I roll my eyes, before heading towards Rio's room.

Great.