30 | only you

Saturday 2nd December 2023
1:23 pm

The boys, Tori, Pansy and myself are all sat together on the sofas in the common room, including Riddle too, who I'm sat right next to. He has his arm around the back of me, resting on the sofa, and I'm practically squashed right next to him because of Enzo on the other side of me.

"You look pretty." I hear Mattheo whisper into my ear, and a smile forms on my face as I turn my head to look up at him.

Things have changed since our little encounter at the library. After we both kind of made it more clear about how we don't despise each other's guts anymore and how I've figured out that he's the mystery number, he's been much more sweet to me and I the same to him.

I like it better this way... I've realised he makes me happy.

"So, what are we all getting from Hogsmeade for Jaya's birthday?" Pansy says excitedly, thinking about our trip to Hogsmeade today after school. There's a blanket of snow across the grounds, and continuous snow fall, which would make our trip a lot more magical.

"Guys you don't have to get me anything." I shake my head. My birthday is tomorrow, and as much as I appreciate the gifts, I'm more terrified of what comes with my age. From my experience, after what happened with my brother, turning eighteen is not the best of ages.

"Don't be silly." Enzo says. "We're going to spoil you rotten." He grins and I smile back at him.

"What about you Riddle?" Draco asks and we all look at him confused.

"What do you mean 'what about Riddle'?" Blaise asks, just as puzzled as the rest of us. We all turn to look at Mattheo, who glances down at me and then at Malfoy with a glare.

"Well, it's his birthday tomorrow too." Draco points out and my eyes widen.

I turn to look at him, my brows raise, as his eyes meet mine. He's ever so close to me, and I begin to grow nervous again before I ask, "it's your birthday tomorrow?"

"Mhm." He nods, before going back to glaring at Malfoy.

"Did I ask you to announce it to everyone?" Riddle questions Malfoy.

"Don't be so moody. It's your birthday and everyone should know."

"Woah, Jaya and Riddle's birthday on the same day. Never saw that one coming." Enzo says.

"When did you two stop hating each other by the way? You're both acting different." Draco asks, pulling a confused face at the two of us sat ever so close. I fiddle with my rings, my cheeks burning red slightly.

"We never hated each other." Riddle states and I clear my throat with a slight laugh and he corrects his sentence. "Okay maybe she hated me."

"What changed?" Tori asks with a smile.

"He got less annoying I guess." I shrug and the girls start grinning at me, but I also notice Theo across from me with a smile on his face too. He sends me a warm smile, and my heart melts.

I'm glad he's not pissed at me anymore. I missed my best friend.

***

3:45 pm

I'm walking through the hallways and suddenly I notice Mattheo falling into step with me, walking right beside me. We exchange smiles and he wraps his arm around my shoulders, sending everyone's gaze right towards us.

"Mattheo." I say through gritted teeth. "You're embarrassing me."

"Deal with it." He shrugs, a smirk across his face. "So, what you gonna get me from Hogsmeade?"