Part 74 | Patriotism

The arrival of the baby drawing nearer put the tower into a frenzy.

Not only was Loki almost constantly hovering behind you making sure you were okay, the rest of the team were doing their best to help, but as could be expected, this didn't always go to plan.

"That looks rancid. I'm not eating that."

"It's not that bad!"

"Pietro, it's bubbling, and it's not on the stove."

Pietro had taken to trying to make you different things he thought would be good to satisfy pregnancy cravings, which you refused to eat.

The speedster held up the bowl to you hopefully. "Just try a little bit? It might help!"

"It also might kill the baby, so let's not do that."

He pouted at you. "It's only crushed pringles with whipped cream!"

You gave him a look of disbelief as Loki snickered quietly behind you. "Would you like to rethink that sentence?"

"Wha- oh. I suppose that sounds sort of gross" he conceded.

"Glad we're on the same page" you replied, ruffling his hair. "How about next time I get a weird craving, I'll let you make it? Would that stop you trying to force me to eat these disgusting things?"

He grinned and nodded. 'Absolutely! I still don't understand why you didn't want the soy sauce cereal I made yesterday. It wasn't that bad!"

"Pietro, did you eat it and then offer it to me?"

"... No."

You rolled your eyes, going to get off the kitchen counter, rolling your eyes again when Loki carefully and gently lifted you off and placed you gently on the ground. "Lokes, I'm pregnant, not crippled."

"I don't you to hurt yourself my love" he reminded you firmly, checking you over worriedly. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine Lokes! Really, I'll let you know if I need something" you reassured him, reaching up to place a soft kiss on his cheek. "Now, go do something fun, read a book, watch a movie, chase someone with that flaming sword you have. Stop worrying you fusspot."

"Of course I'm going to worry about you my darling" he said, placing his hands gently on your round stomach, frowning as you shiver from the cold. "Are you okay?"

"If you ask me that again I'll throw you out the window" you threatened with a smile. "Stop fussing over me for one second and go relax for a bit. You've been following me around like a kicked puppy for weeks now."

"I'd prefer to think of myself a cat, but alright" he murmured, smiling as he kisses you softly before disappearing in a flicker of green.

"Loki, I know you just turned yourself invisible. I know you better than that."

"Dammit" his voice mumbled from the other side of the kitchen before you sensed that he'd finally left.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Welcome to the world renowned game of Saturday night potions!" you announced dramatically, clanging two pans together as you walked into the dining rom where the team was seated, grinning as they all winced.

"Last I checked it wasn't world renowned" Tony commented.

"Well why don't you check again Stank? Keep up with the times."

You pulled out the betting jar, rattling it with a grin. "Place your bets here people! What do I hear?"

"That this is just a way for you get money out of us."

"Zip it vent man. First bet?"

Clint grinned, placing 20 bucks in the jar. "20 on Pietro."

"Why is it always me?!" he whinged, sulking at the end of the table.

"Take a hot second to think about that speedy" Nat suggested.

He thought for a moment before huffing in annoyance. "Fine, I get it I'm annoying."

"I don't think you're annoying" Kate said quietly with a smile, sitting beside her boyfriend.

"I also put 20 on Pietro" Bucky said, adding it to the jar.

As usual, most of the bets were between either Tony or Pietro, both of them having tied for most annoying person in the tower in last years end of year review.

"Alright! Tonight we're eating gnocchi, courtesy of Bruce" you announced. "You lot better be bloody grateful, I spent 40 minutes convincing Pietro that no one wanted his anchovy tiramisu for dessert."

The team all shuddered in disgust before digging into the meal, writing eagerly to see who would get the potion.

Suddenly Steve started hiccupping to the tune of star spangled banner, making everyone burst out laughing at his look of irritation as he managed to get the words out between hiccups. "Why me??"

"Remember when you told me you'd make sure Loki and I raise the baby as a true American patriot?"

"Oh" oh he hiccupped, Bucky laughing uncontrollably beside him.

"I don't know what you expected" Loki commented with an amused grin. "As if we'd ever do that."

"Have fun trying to kiss your boyfriend for a couple of days!" you said cheerfully as everyone laughed and kept eating dinner.

"Days?!"

"Could be weeks. I'll never tell."

"I severely dislike you sometimes."

"Whatever shall I do! I'm severely disliked by an ice cube!" you said theatrically, tears welling in your eyes as Loki grinned.

Steve looked horrified, rushing through hiccups. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean it! Please don't cry-"

"She's pretending Stevie" Bucky chuckled. "You've been fooled by that too many times."

"Sorry not sorry" you grinned, wiping the tears from your eyes and sitting beside Loki, who immediately pulled your chair right up beside his, kissing your temple.

"Ew, PDA" Steve hiccupped, looking proud of himself. "I actually know that one!"

"Steve, honey, that doesn't stand for 'Patriotism developed America'" Nat said with a smirk.

"I know that! It stands for 'public displays of affection!'" he replied indignantly.

"I'll show you PDA-"

"No Loki."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to 2024 lovelies!