A Hatful of Dreams

(Third Person POV)

A large boat sails toward the shores of Europe. A young man climbs on the mast to get a good view. He has a handsome face, brown curly hair, and hazel eyes. This man is named Willy Wonka.

"After seven years of life upon the ocean,
It is time to bid the Seven Seas farewell.
And the city I've pinned seven years of
Hopes on
Lies just over the horizon.
I can hear the harbor bell," Willy sings. "Land ahoy!"

Willy climbs down the mast and expertly makes his way through the boat. One crewmate puts Willy's plum-colored tailcoat on for him, and another gives him his suitcase.

"Got a tattered overcoat and battered
Suitcase," he sings and continues making his way through the boat.

"Got a pair of leaky boots upon my—" he is interrupted when a woman accidentally splashes a bucket of water on his boots.

". . . feet," he finishes while smiling at the woman.

"Sorry, cook," the woman apologizes, but Willy simply twirls her around.

"Got to drag myself up by my one good
Bootlace.
Gotta work my rotten socks if I want to
Make ends meet," he sings as he hops onto a crane.

"I've poured everything I've got into my
Chocolate.
Now it's time to show the world my
Recipes," he sings, and he catches his hat, which is thrown to him by a crewmate, and a small bag of coins when the captain throws it to him.

"Good luck, Willy!" the captain shouts to him.

"I've got twelve silver sovereigns in my
Pocket
And a hatful of dreams," Willy sings as he hitches a ride into town on top of a truck.

The ride into town is relaxing for him. He's finally going to make his dreams come true. After arriving in town, he grabs a lamp-post and spins down it gracefully.

"There's a famous restaurant on every
Street here.
There's Brandino's and the Bar
Parisienne," Willy sings as he looks at his new surroundings.

"Restaurant map, sir?" a man selling maps offers.

"Thank you," Willy thanks him and gives him a silver sovereign.

"Got a little map a little map to tell me
Where to eat here. . ." Willy sings.

He opens the map to find out which restaurant he should eat at, but then he sees a boy at his feet, shining his boots. The boy holds his hand out to Willy, and Willy gives him a silver sovereign.

"Had a dozen silver sovereigns in my
Pocket,
Now I'm somehow down to ten!" Willy sings, surprised at how he's running low on money so quickly.

He walks up to a fruit stall, and he picks up a fresh-looking pumpkin to examine it.

"Want the finest produce? This is where
They stock it," he sings, but a streetcar drives by, startling him into dropping the pumpkin.

The pumpkin breaks at his feet, and the fruit seller holds her hand out to him.

"That's three sovereigns, mate," the woman states.

"Though the prices are suspiciously
Extreme," Willy sings but gives the woman three silver sovereigns.

"Break my pumpkin, you pay for it," the woman says.

"I've got. . ." Willy starts to sing, and he counts how much money he has. "Five, six, seven. . ."

He stops when he sees the shoeshine boy cleaning his boots, and the boy holds his hand out to him when he finishes. Willy gives him another silver sovereign.

". . . six silver sovereigns in my pocket
And a hatful of dreams," he sings as he heads toward his destination.

The shoeshine boy follows him.

"Brush your coat, sir?" the boy asks.

"No, thank you," Willy declines.

"Cologne?" the boy offers.

"No, leave me alone!" Willy declines again, and he picks up speed, entering a fine-looking industry.

"At last! The Galeries Gourmet!" he sings as he looks around the beautiful place.

     Three of the candy stores are owned by Slugworth, Fickelgruber, and Prodnose.

"I knew that we'd see it one day.
It's everything you said, Mamma,
And, oh, so much more!
Everywhere you look another famous
Chocolate store," Willy sings.

     He stops in front of an empty store up for rent and dances with everyone.

"Here's my destiny! I just need to unlock
It.
Will I crash and burn or go up like a
Rocket?
I've got nothing to offer but my chocolate
And a haaaatful of dreams!" he sings, not knowing that a police officer is watching him dance by himself.

Willy walks up to the store and stares at it, imagining it as his own store, when he feels a tap on his shoulder. He looks to see the police officer, and the officer points at a sign in the window. The sign says "To Rent" along with "No Daydreaming." Apparently, daydreaming costs three sovereigns. The officer holds his hand out to Willy, expecting the penalty. Willy puts three silver sovereigns in his hand, and leaves. It grows dark after some time, and Willy walks down some steps leading under a bridge.

"In this city, anyone can be successful
If they've talent and work hard—or so they
Say.
But they didn't mention it would be so
Stressful
Just to make a dozen silver sovereigns last
More than just one day!" he sings.

Willy stops when he hears the sound of a baby crying, and he turns around to see a poor woman holding a baby behind him.

"Could you spare a sovereign for a place to sleep, love?" the woman asks.

"Of course," Willy replies, and he takes out the last silver sovereigns he has and holds them out to the woman. "Here, take all you need."

"Thank you," the woman says after taking a couple sovereigns, and leaves.

"I've got one silver sovereign in my
Pocket. . ." Willy sings.

He tosses the coin into the air, and he opens his coat pocket to catch it. However, he doesn't see that he is standing above sewer drain, and the sovereign falls through a hole in the pocket and falls in the sewer with a light splash when it hits the water. Willy sighs, but then smiles.

". . . and a hatful of dreeeeams," Willy finishes.

He walks over to a bench and sits down, deciding to sleep there for the night.