Willy to the Rescue

(Y/n's POV)

     Noodle and I turn when we hear the sound of fluttering wings, and through a hole in the coop, we see a pigeon standing on the ledge outside the coop.

     "Hey, little guy," I greet it with a sad smile.

     At least that pigeon is free to go anywhere. Suddenly, a thud! is heard just outside the coop, startling the pigeon and causing it to fly away.

     "Noodle, get behind me!" I say, and Noodle does as she's told.

     The both of us back up against the doors, with me in front of Noodle, spreading my arms out to shield her from whatever is out there. But then Willy's face appears in the hole.

     "Hello, girls," he says.

     "Willy! We thought you'd gone!" Noodle says, happy to see him.

     I open my mouth, wanting to say something, but I'm speechless. I want to be happy to see him, but this is the guy who left me and Noodle. I understand he did it to try and help us—even if it backfired—but he left without saying goodbye or giving an explanation. He really hurt me.

     "I did. Slugworth promised you two a better life, but he didn't exactly keep his side of the promise, so I came back," he explains as he unscrews the top of his cane to reveal a screwdriver, then tosses the cane down below. "We all did."

I peek out one of the holes to see Abacus, Piper, Larry, and Lottie down below, shouting their greetings up to me and Noodle. I can also see that Willy is standing on ladders that have been tied together so he could get up here.

"Why?" I suddenly ask.

"Because we care about you two, of course," he replies as he starts to dismantle the coop from the outside.

"Not that. Why did you leave without saying goodbye? Why'd you leave without an explanation? Do you realize how much that hurt me?! I understand you left to help us, but it made me think you didn't. . . you didn't. . ." I stop when I realize what I was just about to say.

Willy has stopped dismantling the coop when I started scolding him, and he's looking at me with guilt.

"That I didn't what?" he asks.

I'm unable to bring myself to answer that.

"It made her think you didn't love her back," Noodle blurts out.

"Noodle!" I whisper-shout.

Apparently, Noodle could answer it. Willy is now looking at me with surprise.

"You. . . you love me?" he asks me.

I open my mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. All I want at that moment is for the ground beneath me to open up and swallow me. Feeling that I have no choice, I force myself to answer his question, ignoring my racing heart.

"Yes. When I first met you, I felt something I never felt before. It took me some time to realize that it was love. You're just so kind and funny, not to mention you make great chocolate," I explain, teasing him at the last bit, making him chuckle lightly. "You showed me and Noodle what true happiness feels like. I understand if you don't love me back."

I hang my head, ready for the rejection. But I definitely was not expecting the words that came out of his mouth.

"On the contrary. . . I do," he responds.

(Willy's POV)

I don't believe it. (Y/n) loves me back? She looks at me with surprise when I confess that I love her back.