A Double-Crossed Deal

(Noodle's POV)

The next morning, (Y/n), Abacus, Piper, Larry, Lottie, and I are called down to the lobby for some reason. I look at (Y/n) to see that her face is still a little red from crying last night. I did whatever I could to comfort her, but nothing worked. Willy's leaving really took a toll on her. I just don't understand why Willy left. I thought he loved (Y/n).

     "My, my, what a lot of long faces this morning," Mrs. Scrubitt says with a smirk. "It's almost as though you lot had a sneaky little scheme to wriggle out of your contracts—which spectacularly misfired."

     We all exchange looks, realizing she's onto us. But who told her?

     "But I've got some good news for you lot, not that you deserve it. Your friend Mr. Wonka done a deal with Mr. Slugworth," she says.

"What?" (Y/n) asks, her voice a little croaky from crying so much.

"Gave up on his dream to settle your accounts," Mrs. Scrubitt continues.

(Y/n) and I look at each other with surprise. So that's why Willy left! He kept his promise to give me and (Y/n) a better life. But still, we'll never see him again. I take (Y/n)'s hand and give it a gentle squeeze to remind her that I'll always be there for her. She looks at me, and I see a tiny smile form on the corner of her lips.

     "Mr. Crunch?" Mrs. Scrubitt says.

     "Present," Abacus speaks up.

Mrs. Scrubitt stamps a piece of paper and gives him a receipt.

"You're free to go," she states.

Abacus just stands there, stunned that he's finally free.

     "Scram, bookworm!" Bleacher snaps at him.

     Abacus quickly takes his receipt and leaves.

     "Bell? Get out of it," Mrs. Scrubitt says.

     Lottie takes her receipt and leaves without a word.

"Benz?" Mrs. Scrubitt says.

     "You don't gotta tell me twice!" Piper responds as she gladly snatches her receipt and leaves.

     "Chucklesworth?" Mrs. Scrubitt says.

     Larry takes his receipt.

     "You've been a terrible audience! Good night!" he says as though he were on a stage.

     "Yeah, well, you ain't much of a comedian, mate," Mrs. Scrubitt responds.

     "I know," Larry replies a bit sadly.

     He starts to leave, but Bleacher stops him.

"Hey, Larry. Keep going. You've got something," he tells Larry.

"You scare me," Larry replies, and leaves.

Mrs. Scrubitt then looks at me and (Y/n).

"And finally, (Y/n) and Noodle," she says, and puts our bank notes on the counter. "Biggest piles in the lot. But these aren't to pay your bills. These are to keep you here."

"What do you mean?" I ask, confused.

     The doors close, and (Y/n) and I look to see that Bleacher has closed and locked them. We're trapped! (Y/n) firmly grips my shoulders and pulls me closer to her, ready to protect me in case he or Mrs. Scrubitt try anything.

     "My friend Mr. Slugworth doesn't think nasty little urchins like you two should be out on the streets, lowering the tone. So he gave me this money to keep you both down in the Wash House for good. And I'm only too happy to oblige," Mrs. Scrubitt explains with a cruel smile.

     My confusion is replaced by growing anger. I've had to spend half my life in this horrible laundry, witnessing my best friend get beaten every day for my sake. The one man who has ever tried to help us left us, breaking (Y/n)'s heart in the process. And now, we're being forced to stay here forever. I can't take it anymore! I free myself from (Y/n)'s grip and run at Mrs. Scrubitt, furious!

"I hate you!!" I shout at her.

I am pulled back by Bleacher.

"LET HER GO!" (Y/n) screams angrily, surprising me.

I honestly don't think I've ever heard (Y/n) scream, let alone seen her get angry.

(Y/n's POV)

I feel my sadness and fear be replaced by a terrible fury—something I've never felt before—when I see Bleacher grab Noodle! Willy may have left me and Noodle, but that's not going to stop me from protecting Noodle! I grab one of Bleacher's hands, digging my nails into his skin as I try to pry his hands off of Noodle, but he grabs my arm and grips it very tightly, almost crushing it. I stop fighting when it feels like he's about to break my arm.

"Look at them go, Lord Bleachowitz!" Mrs. Scrubitt laughs.

I glare at her.

"Lord Bleachowitz? You don't still think he's a lord, do you?" I ask her.

The look of confusion on her face feels so satisfying.

"What?" she asks.

     "We made it up, you stupid old hag!" I snap at her. "It was part of our plan to sneak out to sell chocolate! We used him to distract you! I was surprised you actually bought it! Guess it just shows how ugly and stupid you are!"

     Feeling this angry is amazing and scary at the same time.

     "She's lying!" Bleacher tries to defend himself.

     Mrs. Scrubitt's face contorts as it goes from horror to embarrassment and finally rage.

     "Right! That's it, you horrible little brats!" she growls.

     She comes out from behind the counter to approach us, and she slaps me hard across the face.

     "(Y/n)!" Noodle cries out.

     Mrs. Scrubitt then grabs a handful of my hair and grabs Noodle by the collar of her dress.

     "You're going in the coop, my girls!" she snarls at us, and starts dragging us away.

Before taking us out of the lobby, she looks at Bleacher, who appears to be stunned by the revelation that he's not a lord.

     "And you! Take those dungarees off, you. . . you peasant!" she shouts tearfully, and drags me and Noodle out of the lobby.

     "But. . . Puffy-wuffy! I wuv oo!" I hear Bleacher call to Mrs. Scrubitt.

     I would've felt bad for the heartbroken couple if they hadn't traumatized me and Noodle for so many years.
————————————————————————

     I do apologize that it's taken me a little longer to publish this chapter. Things have been crazy at work since one of the employees quit, and I've had to get up ridiculously early to do the early morning shift. Thing is, I'm more night owl than early bird, so I've been quite tired when I came back home. Luckily, we've got someone else to handle that shift, so publishing chapters every night should be a regular thing again.