Late-Night Planning

(Willy's POV)

     I lie in my bed, thinking for a few moments. . . until I get an idea. I sit up from my bed, and I prepare a jar of chocolates for (Y/n) and Noodle. I then turn on my lamp and walk to my window.

     "Hey, (Y/n)! Noodle! Psst!" I call out quietly.

     A light turns on from the room (Y/n) and Noodle share, and the girls come to the window, looking sleepy.

     "What is it, Willy?" (Y/n) asks, her voice not entirely awake yet.

     "Watch out!" I warn her and Noodle, and I shoot a line at their window.

     I hear them yelp as they jump back when the line hooks around a bar on their window. After making sure the line is secure, I use it to send a basket with the jar of chocolates in it to them. Noodle catches the basket and takes out the jar.

     "What's this for?" she asks.

     "Your wages. A lifetime supply, remember?" I reply.

     "You didn't have to do that," (Y/n) says.

     "Of course I did. I gave you two my word," I respond.

     "Well. . . thanks," Noodle says, and (Y/n) nods her head in agreement.

     "Oh! We've got something for you too," (Y/n) says.

     "For me?" I ask, surprised.

     She leaves the window, and returns a couple seconds later with a rolled-up piece of paper. She gives it to Noodle, who puts it in the basket and slides the basket back to me. I take it out and open it to see some sort of shape. It looks like it's a pointed glass cup halfway filled with water.

     "What is this? A glass half-full?" I ask.

     "Other way up," Noodle says.

     I turn it upside down.

     "A glass half-empty?" I guess.

     "It's an 'A.' Your first letter. We figured that, after how kind you've been to us, we should teach you how to read," (Y/n) says with a warm smile.

     "Oh, girls. . ." I say, touched.

     "Well, we can't have our business partner eaten by a tiger," Noodle remarks.

     I open my mouth to talk.

     "Or nearly eaten!" (Y/n) says before I can say anything.

     "So we're still partners?" I ask them.

     "Sure, but we don't know how we're going to sell any chocolate," Noodle says.

     "She's right. Every time the police show up, you'd have to vanish into thin air," (Y/n) points out.

     "Like a magician," I say.

     "Right!" (Y/n) and Noodle say with bright smiles, as if they both got the same idea.

     "Yeah, but it's one thing when you're on stage," I point out, causing their smiles to fade. "You have ropes, pulleys, and trapdoors. There's none of those in the street."

     "As a matter of fact, there are," we hear Piper say from her room, which is to the left of (Y/n) and Noodle's room.

     Piper turns her lamp on and comes to her window.

     "There are trapdoors all over the city. They're called storm drains. I'd be happy to show you around if you cut me in on the action," she says.

     A light turns on in Larry's room, which is between mine and Piper's rooms, and he comes to his window.

     "If you're recruiting, I'd do anything to get out of here and make up with my wife. I don't have any practical skills, but I can talk like I'm underwater," he says, saying the last bit like he's underwater.

     A light turns on in Lottie's room, which is to the right of (Y/n) and Noodle's room, and she comes to her window.

     "And if you need someone to handle communication, I'm your woman," Lottie says.

     Did Lottie just talk? We all stare at her in surprise.

     "Lottie?" (Y/n) and I ask at the same time.

     "What? Why are you all staring at me?" she asks.

     "I did not know she could speak," Piper says.

     "I thought you were a mime," Larry tells Lottie.

     "No. I actually used to work as a telephone exchange. But back then I was quite the chatterbox," Lottie explains. "But since I came here. . . I haven't had much to shout about."

     A light turns on in Abacus's room, which is to the left of my room, and he comes to his window.

     "Far be it from me to pour cold water on all your fun, but if Mrs. Scrubitt catches you trying to escape, you all get six months in the coop, so just think about that before getting involved in this harebrained scheme," he says.

     "But it's not harebrained, Abacus! Willy's chocolates are incredible," (Y/n) declares, making my heart melt at her kind words.

     To prove her point, (Y/n) takes a chocolate out of the jar and throws it to Abacus.

     "Try one," she urges him.

     "That's very kind of you, (Y/n), but I don't care how good his chocolates are," Abacus states before putting the chocolate in his mouth, and his entire demeanor changes as soon as he tastes it. "When do we start?"