The Message

(Y/n's POV)

Willy and I jump back when we hear a siren, and we look to see a police car parking not too far away from us, with Officer Affable standing by it. Noodle is startled and lets go of the balloons.

"Mr. Wonka! A word in private, if I may," the Chief calls out to him as he gets out of the car and starts to approach us.

     "Certainly. . . Officer," Willy replies.

     I start to grow nervous. What does the Chief of Police want with Willy?

     "Be on your way, Affable," the Chief says.

     "Are you sure, sir?" Officer Affable asks.

     "Oh, yeah. This is between me and Mr. Wonka," the Chief tells him, and Officer Affable leaves.

     Willy takes off his hat and pulls out the bottle of milk.

     "You better get out of here, girls," he tells me and Noodle.

     "But, Willy—" Noodle starts to protest.

     "Don't worry about me. I've talked my way out of tighter spots than this. I'll meet you two back at the cart," he reassures us, and gives the bottle to Noodle.

     "We can't just leave you here!" I say.

     Willy places a hand on my shoulder. . . and then kisses me on the cheek! I feel my face heat up. He then cups my cheek.

     "I'll be fine, I promise," he says.

     I want to protest, but trying to talk him out of this seems futile, so I take Noodle's free hand and we run off. I can only hope Willy will be fine.

(Willy's POV)

     I turn my attention to the Chief of Police. The security guard must've called the police after waking up.

     "Now, Officer, if this is about Abigail—" I try to say.

     "I've got a message for you, pal!" the Chief interrupts me.

     I shout when he grabs me by my collar, and he plunges by head through the ice in the frozen fountain, holding my head in the ice-cold water! I hear him yell something, but I can't understand him. After a couple seconds, he pulls my head back up, and I gasp for air.

     "You got it?" he asks.

     "Not really, I'm afraid," I reply, shocked at how the Chief of Police was trying to drown me.

     "Oh, so you got a mouth on you, huh, candy man? I said. . ." he says, and pushes my head in the water again, pulling me back up a couple seconds later after yelling something again. "You hear me that time?"

     "I have water in my ears," I explain.

     "Oh," he realizes. "Yeah, that. . . Okay, that makes sense. Listen, I'm sorry, I'm all outta whack. Truth is, I don't want to be doing this."

     "I don't want you to be doing this," I tell him.

     "But I still gotta give you a message," he continues. "Sell chocolate in this town again, and you're gonna get more than a bonk on the head."

     "I don't have a bonk on the head," I respond, a little puzzled.

     "What is with me today?! Can you give me just a second?" he asks.

     "Sure," I reply.

     He takes out his nightstick, and bonks me on the head with it.