Life Stories

(Third Person POV)

     Willy stands his cane magically on the ground and presses a button on it, causing the arms of a coat hanger to flip out from the sides, and he hangs his coat and hat on it. Noodle climbs onto a ladder so she can scratch Abigail's chin while Willy sits on a stool to milk the giraffe, and (Y/n) merely stands by, watching him do so.

     "So, have you done this before?" (Y/n) asks Willy.

     "Once. In Africa. Magnificent beast," Willy replies.

     "Was she wild?" Noodle asks.

     "Wild? She was absolutely furious," he replies, making the girls chuckle.

     "You sure can be silly, Willy," Noodle states.

     "I suppose that's true-dle, Noodle," he responds.

     (Y/n) and Noodle look at Willy with confusion.

     "'True-dle'?" they question.

     "That doesn't work, does it? But nothing rhymes with Noodle," Willy says, and looks up at Noodle. "Where'd you get that name, anyway?"

     "Doesn't matter," Noodle replies, the sadness clear in her voice.

     "No, go on," Willy tells her.

     Noodle looks at (Y/n), who nods her head as if telling her to tell him.

     "This," Noodle says, and shows him an amber-and-gold ring on a string around her neck. "It's all I have from my real parents. See? 'N' for Noodle. Or Nora, or Nina—or nothing at all."

     "Can't you trace the owner?" Willy asks.

     "You don't think I've tried?" she replies. "When I was a kid, I always hoped that I'd find my parents. They'd live in this beautiful old building full of books. My mom. . . she'd be waiting there for me at the door. And I'd run into her arms and she'd give me this big hug like she'd never let me go. But then I realized it was just a stupid dream."

     "There's nothing stupid about that," Willy tells her, deeply moved.

     "I've been telling her that for years," (Y/n) chimes in.

     "Isn't there?" Noodle asks.

     Willy then looks at (Y/n).

     "What about you, (Y/n)? What's your story?" he asks.

     (Y/n) thinks for a moment.

     "Well, I suppose you deserve to know," she says. "Remember when you gave us the Silver Linings and I was a little sad about it?"

     "Yes," Willy replies.

     "Well, I was sad, not only because I did feel it would be harder not to have chocolate every day, but also because it made me remember the day I wandered off—the day my father was going to take me to get my first chocolate," she explains, making Willy's eyes widen a bit. "My father was a very loving man. When my mother died, I became the most important thing in his life."

She takes a photo out from her (apron/pants/dress/skirt) pocket and gives it to Willy. It's a photo of four-year-old (Y/n) with her father.

*flashback*

     Four-year-old (Y/n) holds her father's hand as he takes her to the Galeries Gourmet.

"It was my fourth birthday, and I was excited because that day my father promised he would buy me the finest chocolate the Galeries Gourmet had to offer."