A Place To Stay

(Willy's POV)

     Seeing as how I won't be able to afford a place to stay for the night, I figure I might as well sleep on this bench. How could I have run out of money so quickly? I set my suitcase in front of me, and I take off my hat. I reach inside and I pull out an unlit bedside candle, and I blow on it, lighting the candle. I set the candle down on my suitcase, and I reach into my hat to pull out an alarm clock.

"There we go," I say as I set the clock down by the candle, and I reach into my hat to pull out a glass cup, setting it by the clock.

     I then reach into my hat to pull out a pot of steaming hot chocolate, and I pour the delicious liquid into the cup. It is pretty cold out tonight, but this should help a bit. I pull a spoon out from my hat and stir up the hot chocolate. I stop when I see a big growling dog coming toward me. It starts sniffing at my pants.

     "Hello there. Hey, stop. Hey! Shoo!" I try to shoo it away, but it bites down on my pants leg. "Go away! Stop! Go away! Shoo! Shoo!"

     "Stop! Sit!" a deep, gruff voice calls out, and to my surprise, the dog obeys whoever said that.

     I look to see a man standing a few feet away from where I'm sitting.

     "Sorry about Tiddles. Seems to have an unusual interest in your legs," he says with a smile as he walks toward me.

     "Must be these pants," I respond as I put my hat back on my head. "I got them from a mailman in Minsk."

     "That would be it," the man laughs. "Tiddles would spend all day pursuing postal workers, if he could. Wouldn't you, boy?"

     The dog known as Tiddles barks in response. The man laughs and looks at me, but then his smile fades.

     "You're not planning on sleeping there, are you, son?" he asks me while pointing at my set up.

     "Oh, it's just for a night. By this time tomorrow, I plan to have made my fortune," I reply.

     "By this time tomorrow, you'll be frozen solid," the man says.

     "Oh, don't be ridiculous," I mutter, but I am proven wrong when I grab the spoon I left in my hot chocolate and pull it out of the cup to see that my hot chocolate has frozen into a popsicle. "Perhaps it is a little cold for camping. Unfortunately, I'm not in position to pay for a room, sir."

     "Oy. Sorry to hear that," the man says. "But as luck would have it, I know someone who might be able to help you out."

     "Really?" I ask, thinking my luck really is starting to change.

     The man and his dog lead me to a big place on what appears to be the poorer part of town. It's not as big as a mansion, but it's pretty big.

     "Here we are, Mr. Wonka, home sweet home," the man says.

     Tiddles barks and scratches at the door with his front paws.

     "Get your filthy paws off my front door, you mangy mutt!" a woman's voice shouts from inside. "If that's you, Bleacher, you better have my gin!"

     "I have something better than gin, Mrs. Scrubitt," the man known as Bleacher responds, and the slot on the door opens to reveal a woman's eyes. "A guest."

     Bleacher steps aside so the woman known as Mrs. Scrubitt can see me, and I smile kindly at her. The woman's eyes light up when she sees me.

     "Oh! Well, why didn't you say?" Mrs. Scrubitt snorts, and she closes the peephole so she can open the door. "Come on in, sir!"