Chapter 4

ELENAS POV

I straightened my hair out as I got ready for Saras dinner. She said it was going to be at her moms house and a lot of people were coming so I decided to wear something dressy.

I wore a little black dress with some nude wedges and I was out the door.

When I got to Sara's moms house I was greeted by her parents and one of Sara's cousins. I was closer to Sara's family more than I was to my own.

The dinner was filled with Sara's parents, three of her cousins, one of her aunts, a boy I had never seen before, and Luke.

"Hey El," Sara said walking up to me and hugging me, "I have someone I'd like you to meet."

She walked me over to the table and introduced me to the mysterious boy who's name I now know is Calum.

Don't get me wrong this Calum dude is very attractive but I couldn't help letting my eyes linger towards Luke.

He hasn't said a single word to me since I got here but I could feel his stare on me as Sara started to talk to me.

"So I heard about what happened with you and Josh," Sara whispered to me.

"Who told you?"

"Luke."

I froze. If Luke told her about that what else did he tell her about that night.

"What else did Luke say?"

"Just that you were upset and you took a drink and you needed a ride so he took you home. I'm so sorry I couldn't be there for you Elena."

Luke didn't lie. I was upset and I did take a drink or too.

"It's fine."

"Right after Luke told me about what happened I came up with a great idea! You know that guy I was telling you about, that I met while I was working on some fashion pieces at the coffee shop?"

"Yeah," I said glancing over at Luke to see if he was still staring. He was.

"Well, it turns out he's single and he is definitely ready to mingle," she said smirking.

"And?" I said grabbing the glass of water from the spot I was supposed to be sitting in.

"And he'd be a perfect rebound! He's hot, mysterious, sweet, and did I mention hot?"

"Yes you did," I laughed, "but I'm not looking for another relationship right now."

"Just promise me you'll give him a chance, one date."

I glanced at Luke talking to Sara's mom. I had no chance with him. Not only was he out of my league but he was dating my best friend. I needed to get over him. Sometimes the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else.

"Okay, I'll give him a chance."

"Yay, now me and you can go on double dates," she said.

"That would be just great," I said sarcastically although Sara didn't notice.

"Well I gotta bring out the food, I'll be right back."

I sat down in my seat that was ironically between Sara and Luke and across from the new Calum guy. Calum was talking to one of Sara's cousins.

"Hi," Luke said as he picked up his glass of water and brought it to his lips.

"Hey," I said looking around.

"I don't want things to be awkward with us."

"Why would it be awkward,"I said and turned so I'm facing him and my knee brushes against his. We both look at our knees.

"Listen," he said looking up at me, "I had a good time with you and I was just wondering if we could still be friends."

Friends. Just great.

"Yeah of course we can," I said with a glint of sadness in my tone.

"Okay everyone, settle down my daughter has an announcement to make," Sara's mother said calming the guests down.

"Well everyone knows about my fashion interning job at Beauty Bazaar magazine right?" Sara said ecstatically.

"How could we not sweetheart, you talk about it all the time," her dad said and the whole table laughed.

"Anyways, the company said I was so good at my job they decided to give me a upgrade," Sara said and we all clapped for her.

"So what does that mean?" Luke said.

"It means that I'm going to California."

California?

///
Sara is going to California!! what does this mean for Elena & Luke??? continue reading and you'll find out!
thx for reading!